We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska - driving trip

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska - driving trip

My husband and I want to fly to Anchorage and then head out to Denali Park driving a rental car. Any recommendations on how many days we should plan for in order to see some of Anchorage, Denali and sights along the way including hotels (moderate price) to stay along the way; any travel tips would be most welcome. Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska - driving trip

Welcome to the forum.

When are you going? How long is your trip? What are your interests?

That will really help us.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska - driving trip

We are flying in and out of Anchorage and will have one week. I would like to see the sights in Anchorage and then head to Denali. We will be traveling the first week of June. We like to hike, kayak (not whitewater but lakes) and love nature. Any tips are most welcome! THANKS!!!!!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,856 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska - driving trip

Guess it all depends on how leisurely you want your trip to be. How long are you planning to stay in Denali? What is moderate price for a hotel to you? Do you want any other specific amenities?? That info would help if you would like recommendations.

You could drive to Hatcher Pass and stay there a night - you could do the same in Talkeetna if you want. I would then recommend that you stay in Healy for your trip - it is only 12 miles from the Denali Park area and much more affordable than the hotels in the entrance area. There are also a few places south of the park as well. Here are websites for the lodgings in our area:

http://www.alaskaone.com/healy/

http://www.denalichamber.com/

I would recommend that you rent your car right away, then work on your lodging and shuttle bus reservations.

As far as kayaking, you can rent them right in Healy on Otto lake road from the Denali Outdoor center. http://www.denalioutdoorcenter.com/

Hope this helps you a bit more. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska - driving trip

Note that the shuttle bus in Denali goes only as far as Eielson (mile 66) from June 1 to June 7. On June 8, it goes as far as Wonder Lake (mile 85) and Kantishna (mile 91). If the Mountain is out, Wonder Lake is great. If this is of interest and it is not too late for flights, etc. already booked, go to Denali last.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska - driving trip

Thank you so very much for all the great info!!!! I really appreciate all the tips.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska - driving trip

Also....forgot to respond...moderate hotel anything between $100-200 a night and we will have one week total. We are flying in to Anchorage on 5/29 and fly back early 6/5. Thanks!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska - driving trip

I'd look into B&Bs for the prices you are looking for. You can sometimes get deals on hotels.com for Anchorage, but for the other places, B&Bs are just easier and in the middle of your price range.

If it were me and on that limited time, I'd skip Anchorage, spend time in Denali, and then head south to Seward for a couple days. Very different wildlife and scenary, but stuff that, in my opinion, isn't to be missed. You could even go kayaking down in the fjords there and see some wildlife in a different, more up-close way.

Edited: 6:15 pm, March 30, 2010
Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska - driving trip

Thank you so much for the tips and for recommending Seward. I wouldn't have thought to do that, but it sounds like a better choice than spending time in Anchorage. I really appreciate your feedback!!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska - driving trip

it might help you to read various Trip Reports to see where people have gone, what they enjoyed, what side trips they took, etc.

Just do a search in the Alaska forum and type "trip report". Be sure to use the quote marks. Also go to a bookstore and look at the Alaska tourism books to get an idea of what you can see and do.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska - driving trip

We are getting in to the planning of this trip. We are going to take your advice and try to fit in Seward. So is driving from Anchorage, to Denali, then to Seward feasible in our limited time? We arrive Sat. evening and will likely spend the night in Anchorage and head out on Sunday. Our flight back is EARLY the following Saturday, June 5. If you had our time frame, can you recommend where you might stay along the way? We would need to be back in Anchorage Friday evening, June 4. Any particular towns and/or B&B's you might recommend? I truly appreciate your input! Thanks!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...