We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suggestions?

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation suggestions?

Rather than do an organised package tour by train, we would like to consider booking a combined train/coach trip ourselves and book accommodation separately, if this is likely to be less expensive. How much is the bus inside the park? Has any one got any good suggestions for accommodation?

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

Trip on shuttle bus to Wonder Lake for two is $104.

Denali Lakeview Inn at Healy is really nice accomodation.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

I've done lots of research on where to stay in/around Denali. Part of me really wanted to stay in one of the large resorts like those we've stayed in when we visited Yellowstone and Glacier National parks but the prices here are really high. We finally (just last week) settled on a B&B a few miles from the entrance in the park named Touch of Wilderness (http://www.touchofwildernessbb.com). It's gotten good reviews here on TA, includes breakfast and use of a common kitchen and they offer a 3 night stay discount that seems to make it a pretty good deal.

It'll be June before I can give you my personal opinion of the place but I think it'll be fine based on my research.

Chris

3. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:06 am, March 10, 2010
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

Could you make any suggestions which lodges would work for us if we do not have a car?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

Well, if you aren't renting a car for your Alaska trip, how about renting a car for Denali?? Denali Dome home (also a B&B), rents cars as well, and you might consider that. Many of the lodges in the entrance area go for double or triple what you would pay for lodging in Healy area. As well as cost savings, I like recommending many of the cabins/B&B's because you get to meet/know real Alaskans, which you won't find in many of the big lodges in the entrance area. Some offer very nice accommodations, with your breakfast included - another cost savings you won't have at the lodges. Just something to consider. It is very limiting to not have your own vehicle, though it can be done. There is some van transport services that work like a taxi, but that can be a bit of a hassle as well. Some of my most favorite restaurants to recommend aren't near those lodges either.

AS far as bus transport in to the park, do take the shuttle bus - well worth your time and it'll save you $$. www.nps.gov/dena. Good luck! :)

Edited: 2:18 am, January 04, 2010
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

Coalminer, what are your thoughts on the McKinley Creekside Cabins? We will have a car and we can get a "deluxe" cabin for $99/nt during late May, so it seems like a good deal to us, although the reviews are a bit mixed.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

BTW, we're considering the Lakeview Inn too, but it is North of the park, which puts us further from Anchorage. Would we be better off there rather than the Creekside Cabins, even with the extra drive time?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,215 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

I have stayed at the Creekside Cabins twice and thought they were great. Not sure about the negative reviews, but are they from people with just 1 or 2 contributions? I routinely disregard any such reviews (good or bad) except for purely factual information ("the cabins have a restaurant on the premises.")

Their restaurant has really good food at very reasonable prices. I would stay there again, but I have really grown to like the hostel just across the street from the cabins when I am not camping inside the park.

Having said that, the Lakeview Inn has received good feedback here on the forum. Chances are that your last day you will go back to the park before heading on anyway, so whether it is north or south of the park really doesn't make much difference.

John

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

LAfadeaway - Healy is only 12 miles N. of the park - a short distance, so it really isn't that much farther away from Anchorage. :)

I haven't been in the cabins that McKinley Creekside has - I would imagine they are cute but simple. I love their cafe - they have some of the best food in the area for the most reasonable prices! I do know that you would find Lakeview Inn to be much nicer - they have an amazing lake & mtn view. The McKinley creekside cabins are rather tucked in the mtns, so the immediate area is nice, but no real view distance wise. Am curious - do the cabins have breakfast included, as that would be a real deal.

I am with John that it is difficult to discern some reviews - as well as weighing that with what you expect in accommodations. For the most part, especially coming from a city, you will find Alaska very rural and pretty rustic - some people do not like and are not comfortable with that. You need to find what works with your comfort level. And to let you know, Healy has lots of different kinds of accommodations - more cabins, B&B's and hotels. If you can give some more specifics, I would be happy to try to help. :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback! We had picked the Creekside Cabins due to the price and the great reviews of the restaurant. We also like that we can get a room with fridge and microwave for $99, not including breakfast. We may be able to get the same price at the Lakeside Inn including breakfast if one of their least expensive rooms is still available for our dates. I believe they also have a fridge and microwave.

As far as what we're looking for, we can handle rustic as long as it's clean and comfortable. What we don't want is one of those big hotels over run with package tour buses. A cabin seems appropriate for the area so I was looking that direction. I read that you could hear the creek from your cabin at Creekside too, which would be nice if that's true. Although, the view from the Lakeside Inn looks like it would be fantastic and I'm sure those rooms would be a bit nicer. Given they include breakfast, it may be worth switching. Any other places we should look at in that price range (99/nt in May)? Hotel Nordoff is the same price too, although it doesn't seem to offer anything in the way of unique atmosphere (view?). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Decisions, decisions...

Oh yeah, what is the restaurant situation like in Healy or between Denali and Healy? Anything comparable to McKinley Creekside Cafe in that direction?

Edited: 6:40 pm, January 27, 2010