We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

NYC
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

I was wondering if anyone in Alaska knew of a way to visit the Bus in the summer via Helicopter? I am going in the summer of 2009 and would like to visit the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

Welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of any helicopter tours that go there.

There have been a few threads this forum in the past couple of years about going there. The biggest problems with going there in the summer are (1) river crossings that are dangerous if you are not experienced (and even if you are) and (2) very primitive backcountry hiking and camping to get there and get back.

I have been in Denali several times, camping at Wonder Lake and doing day hikes. As familiar as I am with the park, I still have not done backcountry camping. You would need to be sure you are very adequately prepared. It is a daunting excursion and one that I would not recommend unless you have already had experience hiking in Denali's backcountry.

From what I have read, it is easier to get there in the winter when the rivers are frozen. Earthsong Londge actually leads a tour there in the winter, though as you can imagine it is not cheap.

Note that two women planned a rather simple one night backcountry camping trip in Denali last June. Though they were unprepared from the start, their 1 night expedition ended up being 6-7 nights. Denali is not a place you want to go to unless you are familiar with its terrain and have experience in trail-less hiking.

Not to discourage you, but I want to give you a very realistic picture of the monumental task it is.

John

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,239 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
255 Reviews
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,494 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

ERA helicopter does tours in the Denali park area - I am not sure if they would take you there - but I am sure you could ask. Here is there website - they are only open during the tourist season - mid-May to mid-Sept. flightseeingtours.com/content/index_eng.html

Hope this helps. :)

Mentioned in this post
Denali Park Hotel
Denali Park Hotel
404 Reviews
Healy, AK
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

Hi County95

I think they towed that bus out of there last spring not sure where to, but they wanted to remove it so that other folks wouldn't find themselves in the same predicament......

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

>>I think they towed that bus out of there last spring not sure where to, but they wanted to remove it so that other folks wouldn't find themselves in the same predicament......

With all due respect to those wishing to visit it, I think that is by far the best thing they could have done, if it was indeed towed out.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

I'm pretty sure the bus is still there. The Denali Chamber of Commerce discussed moving it last year but never did. Also, Earthsong Lodge is advertising dogsledding tours that stop by the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,239 Reviews
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

Well, I have to smile. I skied into that area in 1972 on my first winter trip with my ski buddies. The Stampede Trail went in about 1 mile and the rest was on cross country skies. A beautiful trip. Last September I spent a week at 8 Mile Lake on the trail and mountain biked in up to the Savage river. The last few miles were through a lot of water and stream bed, an interesting experience. I will go back.

The bus is still there, as the trail is simply too narrow for anyone to have taken it out. They should / could helicopter it out to Healy where the site can be reconstructed and safe a lot of tourists pain and expense.

You can take four wheel Jeep or Ranger trips back to about mile 12 or so and have quite a good time at it. I waved to the happy people as they drove and splashed past me ( I pulled my bike out of the trail for them and grinned at them as the grinned at me. We were all happy to be there).

Yes, I expect you can charter a helicopter to get in, but expect to pay thousands of dollars for their time and expense. That is the reality of flying in Alaska. Do a Google search, there have been some interesting adventures with people heading in, perhaps the most imaginative starting from inside the park and floating the river- and guessing at their take-out point. They busted brush across miles of tundra before they found the trail and mountain biked out.

Mentioned in this post
Healy
Healy
Alaska
Alaska
United States
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

Well maybe not "towed", but I'm pretty sure that it mentioned in one of the extra scenes on the movie that it was removed.......

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

Mombear

They had a "fake" bus that was positioned in the woods not far from Healy so they could film most of the movie. That one was moved.

Mentioned in this post
Healy
Healy
9. Re: Visit "Into The Wild" Bus..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:25 am, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...