We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali and Glacier cruise

shanghai
2 posts
Save Topic
Denali and Glacier cruise

I will be traveling to Alaska with my husband and three children in late June and am now trying to get an itinerary together that involves Denali for 2 to 3 days and a glacier cruise somewhere. Do I have to drive from Anchorage to Seward to do a full day cruise or is there something closer to Anchorage that won't have me driving south and then back north to get to Denali? Can someone help me with this piece of the puzzle? Many thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali and Glacier cruise

There are glacier cruises on Prince William Sound, usually accessed from Whittier (South of Anchorage) or Valdez (North and East of ANC.) The bout tours from Seward are considered wildlife tours, hopefully getting a chance to see birds, seals, and whales, and other wildlife, as well as a glacier or two.

A trip down to Seward 2 1/2-3 hours (Whittier is on the way) would not be considered backtracking, or going out of your way. It is one of the top rated drives for beauty, has many interesting stops on the way and is usually highly recommended.

I guess it depends on how long you have and at what pace you want to travel. Hope this helps

New York
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali and Glacier cruise

Your only option for "glacier" cruises is Whittier, Valdez, and Seward. With Whittier the best of the three. Esther Passage is worth the extra expense and time.

Allow 1 1/4 hours drive from Anchorage. Factor in tunnel time.

3. Re: Denali and Glacier cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 22, 2009