We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eielson Visitor Center

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Eielson Visitor Center

We have scheduled a 6am shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center for the end of June. We will have a rental car and, we read in a tour book that it was a good idea to have one person drive the car as far into the park as they could and then meet the shuttle bus. The others in the party could save them a seat on the bus.

Is this true? What is the advantage of having a car at the Savage River Check Station? Would there always be available parking for someone who choose to drive?

Thanks for any info!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eielson Visitor Center

Interesting. I have never heard of that and would definitely not recommend that. Not many places to park at Savage River. Did the tour book say why they recommended that? Leaving your car at the WAC has its advantages - a lot of foot and car traffic there so your car is definitely safe.

It makes me wonder why in the world they would recommend that - it is definitely a first for me! Maybe coalminer has some thoughts.

I think the rangers at the Savage River checkpoint would frown on someone leaving their car all day at the small lot there.

You might consider extending your trip to Wonder Lake, especially if the Mountain is visible on the day you are there. If Eielson is open, you do it there or if it is not open yet, then at Toklat.

John

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,864 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eielson Visitor Center

Personally I can't imagine the benefit of leaving your car at Savage River. Usually a bus ride into the park is pretty exhausting, especially if you are getting off to hike while into the Park. The only advantage I would think would be to hike/explore at the Savage river area . . . but maybe some others out there have done it and can tell us all the benefits. :)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eielson Visitor Center

Perhaps you didn't read that in a tour book, but mis-remembered a suggestion John gave on another thread for people who were camping at Savage River:

tripadvisor.com/…10933401

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eielson Visitor Center

>>Perhaps you didn't read that in a tour book, but mis-remembered a suggestion John gave on another thread for people who were camping at Savage River:

Ah, MM, that might be it. Savage River campground vs. WAC. In that case, if you are camping at Savage Campground, I could see the benefit of driving the rest in the group to the WAC, then parking your car at your campsite and picking up the bus from there. The main reason for that is to not have to drive back the 13 miles from the WAC to the campground after riding the bus all day - all just get off the bus at the campground. That might make sense. But if, after the shuttle bus, you are going to end up driving to the Visitor Center for activities or outside the park for supplies, dinner, etc. it wouldn't make sense.

John

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eielson Visitor Center

Okay...I am getting the idea that we definately do not want to drive the car further than the shuttle pick=up area.

We will all take the shuttle.

That makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for your replies!

6. Re: Eielson Visitor Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 22, 2009