We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

Traveling to Anchorage in July with twelve year old son. Is Anchorage good for a home base and still go to Denali etc? Looking for thoughts on a great week of possible fishing, wildlife viewing etc.

Newbie to Alaska...........so all ideas are truly welcome!

Thanks!!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

Hi goblue22, welcome to the forum!

If you're planning on going to Denali, that is a 5 to 6 hour drive from Anchorage, so you really can't "home-base" from there. I'd suggest you move from area to area.

You might drive up to Denali for a couple of nights, then back to Anchorage for a day, then down to Seward or Homer for a couple of days. Or maybe stop for a while along the Kenai River to fish too. What kind of fish were you interested in?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

Welcome Goblue22,

I agree that Anchorage is not the best place to home base. You can build a very nice trip that includes 2-3 days in Denali and 3-4 days between Seward and Homer.

Can you tell me your dates (arrival and departure)to give me an idea of what to recommend to spread things out.

If you have a full week (8-9 days) you could begin by heading north to Denali for 3 nights which will give you 2 full days to bus into the park and get off the bus for hiknig if you want. Followed by a travel day to get to Seward (7-8hrs) where you can walk right up to Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park, take a salmon/halibut charter, and take a glacier/wildlife scenic cruise. Or if you want to go all the way to Homer, there is charter fishing, sea kayaking, scenic flights to veiw bears in Katmai or Lake Clark NP's, and get the biggest slice of pizza I have ever seen at Fat Olives.

There is a lot of ways you can put a trip of a lifetime together and I am glad to point you in the right direction.

Let me know what you are interested in and I can share with you my experiences with my son on our trip and provide any help I can.

- Kery

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

As the others said, you can't really use Anchorage as a base . . . but spending 2-3 days in Denali would be a great experience for you both. You could do the shuttle bus, go for a raft trip, hike, kayak - many things you could do. The shuttle bus would provide a good wildlife viewing opportunity. www.nps.gov/dena will provide much of the info you need and if you want help with your lodging, I would be happy to make some recommendations. Just let us know and we can help you plan a memorable trip with your son! :)

New York
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books. Then you can get a better idea on what areas have to offer. With only a week, it's not a lot of time in Alaska. So the suggestion to concentrate on Anchorage for a day or 2, then Denali Park, needing at least 2 overnights, and Seward. You'll have a great opportunity for some fantastic touring.

If interested in some flightseeing and boat trips, the purchased coupon books could offer you some savings.

5. Re: Coming to Anchorage in July-What to do for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 20, 2009