We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Denali Trip Report - Day 1

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
My Denali Trip Report - Day 1

Hi All,

First of all, I want to thank coalminer for providing all the information about Denali. We had so much fun because of him. Thank you.

Day One (8/31/2007):

We drove from Anchorage to Denali. We stopped by Talkeetna to take a flightseeing tour. The trip from Anchorage to Talkeetna is about 2 and half hours. It took that long because there are a lot of little town in between and a lot of traffic lights in these little towns.

The flightseeing with Talkeetna air taxi was great. We took the Grand Denali Tour without glacier landing. Because of the warm day temp and cold night temp, the glacicer is icy. That's why at this time there is no glacier option available.

The airplane is a single engine front propeller airplane that can take 4 people. It is toward the end of the season so there were not a lot of people. In fact, the plane only had the pilot, me, my wife, and my friend.

It was overcast this day. When we flew over mountain, however, it opened up. We saw the glacier, the mountain peaks. It was just amazing. We only saw the top of the Mt. Denali and not the entire thing. Mt. Denali is so huge that I doubt we would be able to see the entire mountain that close.

The entire trip took about 2 hours. It was really smooth all the way. After the flightseeing, we went to Talkeetna downtown to have lunch. The town is really small; about 5 restaurants, 4 gift shop stores and some tour stores.

After lunch, we drove to Denali. The drive to from Talkeetna to Denali was much better. Finally the landscape opened up and you start to see the famous Alaskan mountain range (huge). There were no traffic lights and the drive seems longer.

We stayed at Denali Suite recommended by coalminer. To my surprise, it is probably one of the best places I stayed! It is a fully furnished condo with pretty much everything you ever need. It is clean, it has WiFi, it has satalite TV, it has a full kichen. My wife and I just loved this place and I would recommend anyone to stay at this place.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Denali Trip Report - Day 1

Great report and so easy to read since it wasn't too long and had paragraphs. However, I don't know what little towns with a lot of traffic lights you wrote about. Every time we drive between these two destinations it is a smooth ride. What other places in Alaska did you visit? Would enjoy reading more about each of them. I heard very similar statements about Denali Suites and agree about Coalminer, he is so helpful to so many of us. Thanks for posting, fruto123. Waiting for more

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Denali Trip Report - Day 1

Hi there! Glad to hear you are enjoying your stay in our area . . . we have been having great weather as well. Places - I think I know what he means . . . it seems forever before you get thru Wasilla, Houston, and Willow - the speed limits are slow and on certain days, the traffic is congested. Once past there, you just sail along.

I am pleased to hear you are liking your accommodations - they are great! Would like to hear what else you are doing and where you are eating, too - those reports are great to hear as well.

I'll be looking forward to the rest of your trip report . . . the installment plan! :)

3. Re: My Denali Trip Report - Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...