We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need rain gear?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Do I need rain gear?

We are travelling to anchorage, seward and DNP next week. I know to take a rain gear would a rain poncho be enough ? or do i need a good rain coat ?

please let me know

thanks

crystal

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need rain gear?

i just returned from all 3 of those places in the last couple weeks. your answer is it depends, one on what you will be doing and mostly on the weather. in seward one day was gorgeous the next day pouring. i brought a rain suit, jacket and pants, never used it, but that's not to say you won't. the day it rained i went to exit glacier and i just used a poncho. i think if you were going to be doing any heavy duty hiking or camping you might need a good suit otherwise a basic rain jacket should be fine. i brought a poncho and big rain suit, i wished i had brought just a simple rain jacket. the ponchos are difficult to re-use, luckily i didn't need to. hope this helps

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need rain gear?

I will go along with travelcrazy in the first answer. i also just completed a tour with visitors and the umbrellas and the gortex that I made available were left unused in two weeks of travel.

A simple poncho or raincoat will do for touring in the usual fashion. If you were into serious outdoors for extended periods of time, then a more serious rain outfit might be handy. I generally don't take serious rain clothing with me unless I am gone for days in the bush, and then it is a balance between getting wet from rain or getting wet from sweat.

For 99% of tourists, simple si best.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need rain gear?

We just came back from our trip and we used our rain jackets most of the trip, for rain and for a light windbreaker. My daughter used her rain pants (those stylish holes in the jeans got chilly!), but the rest of us didn't need them. Our breathable waterproof jackets were lightweight and perfect. We carried those inexpensive rain ponchos when we weren't wearing the jackets - just in case the weather changed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need rain gear?

Thanks so much to all. it helps

I should have also asked what to pack. I am taking full sleeve clothes and spring jackets. hope thats fine.

thanks again

crystal

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need rain gear?

I'd bring a short sleeved shirt or two. It got up into the 70s when we were there a couple times. I wore a cami, a short sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt jacket on the glacier and other days had to wear a cami, long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt and rain jacket. Granted we're from Florida and we saw people in shorts when we were freezing, so you kind of have to know yourself. Have a blast!

6. Re: Do I need rain gear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 05, 2009