We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to go into Denali National Park?

Wellington, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How far to go into Denali National Park?

We are planning on booking a shuttle bus tour into Denali NP. Since we are 2 families traveling with 5 kids ages 8-14, we didn't want to take too long of a bus ride (i.e., Wonder Lake), but thought that Toklat or Fish Creek might be a good halfway point.

Has anyone done either of these stops? What is the hiking like once you get there?

Do you think it might be better to just stay closer to the entrance (or as far as our car can go) and do some hiking near there...or is it definitely worth it to take the long drive further in to Fish Creek? Again, I'm just thinking about the patience level of the kids.

Any input would be appreciated. :o)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,452 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far to go into Denali National Park?

Hi there! Well, I think I would take everyone out to Fish Creek for the bus ride as that would give you a great opportunity for seeing wildlife and really experiencing the Park. But I think I would do the hiking separately . . .doing the trails on the East end, such as Horseshoe Lake, and perhaps seeing the doggie demos, as that would give you lots of variety and not make one day too overwhelming. As well, plan to take lots of snacks & water as well as lunch for your shuttle ride. You can always go with the flow if they want to get off the bus and do some hiking - see how the weather is and such - that might be the best determinate when traveling with kids. Good luck! :)

on the lake...
Level Contributor
567 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far to go into Denali National Park?

when are you going? Fish Creek might be the farthest you CAN do if you're going early in the season. This is the case for us this year.

3. Re: How far to go into Denali National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 31, 2009