We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Hiking Option

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Day Hiking Option

Hi folks, here is my question. Does one have enough time to get off the shuttle and hike a bit in Denali if one tries to do the shuttle bus round trip (all the way to Wonder Lake) in one day.

I check the late June's shuttle bys schedule and the 1st out to Wonder Lake is 530am in the & the last one is 1115am which means we have almost 6 hrs at least do some hiking. Too many great place for hiking in the park like Wonder Lake to the Reflection Pond, Highway pass/Stoney Hill, Fish Creek, Primrose Ridge, and Polychrome so which one or two are the best for short hile out shuttle bus??

Thanks. Ryan

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Hiking Option

Gee, that's not an easy one . . . partly I would say to ride and see as much of the park as you can and then go hiking . . . . OR wait and see what the weather is doing . . . if it's raining or the wind is blowing, etc. You do have some flexibility . . . If it's a good day, I would make sure you got to Wonder Lake first, and then proceed from them. If the weather isn't good, and no visibility of Denali, and perhaps only go to Fish Creek, and then head back and do some of your hiking then. I don't know if that clarifies things, but I hope it helps some. :)

Mentioned in this post
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Hiking Option

Theoretically you would have about 5-6 hours to do some hiking. You might consider the McKinley Bar Trali that starts real close to the Wonder Lake campground (ask your bus driver to drop you off at the trailhead since it would save you maybe 10 minutes of walking from where the shuttle bus normally stops).

I also hiked around Stony Hill last summer. That is a pretty major hike - took most of the day including the bus ride from Wonder Lake campground, the hike around the "hill" (only in Alaska could that be called a HILL!), and the bus back to Wonder Lake (we stayed at the campground).

I think your plan to get off the bus is great. So few people do.

Mentioned in this post
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Alaska
Alaska
United States
3. Re: Day Hiking Option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 28, 2009