We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kantishna wilderness trails tours

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
349 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
kantishna wilderness trails tours

has anyone been on this tour? and what did you think of it?

thanks

Potomac Falls, VA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

Travelcrazy!:

One of my friends visited AK last year and he and his wife took this trip. He was very pleased with the trip.

We are also visiting AK in Aug. 2007 and I have already bought the tickets for this trip.

Hope it helps.

Mindy

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

hi mindy, this trip seems so long (12-13 hours), did your friends feel it was too long? also was there any hiking involved? also i believe you can take a park shuttle to kantishna for much less money than this trip, did your friends feel they got their money's worth with this trip and why? sorry for all the questions, but thanks for responding.

Potomac Falls, VA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

Travelcrazy!:

Yes, I know this trip is 12-13 hours long. No, my friends did not think it was too long. After all, you are going to the end of the park, so naturally this 12-13 hours length is appropirate. My friend does not have any children, so length of the trip was not a factor for them.

My friend visited AK a couple of years back and he did lots of hiking over there. As far as they remember, there was no hiking involved in this trip. They enjoyed this trip very much. Both of them (especially his wife) are those kind of people who are happy in all kinds of environment::-)

I just called the company who owns this tour and talked to the lady on the phone. She told me that there is no hiking involved in this trip, lunch will be provided at Roadhouse and there will be guided activites, such as dog sled demonstration, gold panning or guided nature walk. A person can participate only in one activity. In addition to this, the driver will also make certain stops whenever he thinks it is appropriate for viewing wild life, taking pictures, stretching legs and of course for nature calls.

I have already booked this trip for my family for Aug. month and I am looking forward to it. We go on vacation every year and we always prefer guided tours whenever it is availble. They are expensive, but they are also convenient. You do not have to drag your stuff everywhere. I have never regretted any guided tour regardless where we have vacationed in the past.

Hope this inforamtion helps.

Mindy

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

hi mindy

thanks for all the info, i appreciate your insights.

do you know if the tour company provides transportation from local hotels for this tour?

thanks again

Potomac Falls, VA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

travelcrazy:

Yes, this tour company does pick up people from certain hotels close to Denali park. Follow this link and you will see the names of the hotels listed where they pick up people. Here is the link.

alaskatravel.com/denali-park/kantishna-bus-t…

Hope it helps.

Mindy

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

Hey there. I know this is a little late, but maybe one more opinion my sway you one way or the other. I did this tour the first time I went to Denali, and I really enjoyed it(we did the tour one day, and did a shuttle bus another so we could do some hiking). As others have mentioned before, do sit on the driver's side. The lunch was a sandwich and soup and a cookie. I t was okay, nothing to write home about. We saw tons of wildlife, especially the deeper we went. The ride went by very fast and was not bumpy. Although I no complaints about this tour, this year we just bought shuttle passes to save money. I do believe the first go at it was worth it. I still remember our driver's name, Kevin Hay. He made the day worthwhile with all his knowledge about the park. The shuttle buses aren't really into that unless you get a chattly one. Hope you have a nice trip.

7. Re: kantishna wilderness trails tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 27, 2009