We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Topic
Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

Greetings everyone, sorry if this is a bit long,

I am seeking comments and suggestions as I finalize a 19 day trip in June 2007 with my 18 year old son. I made a solo first trip to Denali late last July for 3 days and fell in love with it. Considering I live within 2 hours of both Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's and now I feel like blowing off these backyard friends to get deep into Denali is quite a change of heart.

I am looking to build a combination trip that allows time for getting away from it all in the backcountry, several shuttle bus trips for sightseeing, and a couple of nights out a Wonder Lake. I want to slow down and just take in the beauty of these amazing places. I am also planning on taking the last 6 nights and spending them in Seward and Homer for scenic/glacier cruise and maybe a day of charter fishing before returning to Anchorage.

I know I am packing a lot in this itinerary and I have a limited budget to work with so here is what I have come up with so far.

Day 1 - I arrive at midnight June 20th and will be picking up my rental car in on the morning of the 21st. I need to grocery shop and stock up on any last minute items and hope to be heading north by 1:00pm and arriving at Denali about 6:00pm. I am planning to camp at Riley Cr CG. I hope to have time to head up to Savage Creek Bridge and do a little fly-fishing before "dark". I just love these 20+ hour days.

Day 2 - Early start to the backcountry desk to set up my BC permit, then by noon-ish catch a shuttle bus out to Wonder Lake and back to give my son an overview of the next week or so. Another night at Riley Creek CG to wrap up the day.

Day 3 - Take early Camper bus to Wonder Lake CG for 2 or 3 nights. After setting up, we plan to explore the lake and maybe go down to the McKinley bar.

Day 4 – Catch an early bus back towards Stoney Hill or even the Toklat area for day hiking and if time permits fly-fishing back at Stoney Creek, and then returning to Wonder Lake for the evening.

Day 5 – Break camp and re-pack for a late morning bus to Toklat and begin our backcountry trip. I hope to get the permits for this hike. We will head up the Toklat towards Scott Peak.

Day 6 – Break camp and head up the pass to Sunrise Glacier and camp on the other side of the summit.

Day 7 – Head down Sunrise Glacier Creek towards the Thorofare River and camp at the fork in the river.

Day 8 – Cross the Throfare River and climb up Contact Pass, make camp on top of pass. (Hope for views of the Great One)

Day 9 – If the weather permits, we are going to climb to the summit of Mt Eielson (5802’) from our camp.

Day 10 – Descend Contact Pass down to the Muldrow Glacier and work our way back to the Park road near Eielson VC to catch one of the last busses back to the entrance and camp at Riley Creek again. (Hot showers and real food at last)

Day 11 – Get an early shuttle bus out to Wonder Lake again and hp off somewhere for a day hike. Return to RC for another night

Day 12- Break camp and head to Talkeetna for a late lunch then on to Anchorage to re-supply. I want to get as far as the Portage area and camp there for the night.

Day 13 – Pack and head to Homer. Stop along the Kenai to view the bears (the real fisherman) and the salmon ending up in Homer for the night.

Day 14 – Explore Homer.

Day 15- Depart for Seward. Stops in Kenai, Soldotna and Coopers Landing.

Day 16- In Seward, all day Glacial Cruise with Kenai Fjord Tours w/dinner at Fox Island.

Day 17 – All day Charter fishing trip (not chosen yet).

Day 18 – Depart Seward for Anchorage. Stop to see Exit Glacier, Girdwood, and explore Anchorage.

Day 19 – Return rental car and depart Anchorage at 9:00am headed home. (July 9th, 2007)

I want to thank you in advance for sharing your experiences, thoughts and comments. Both my son and I are anxiously counting the days until June. I know I have not thought of everything and hope some of you can help me to catch any oversights. I plan on staying in local Hostels both for the cost savings and for the many interesting people we will meet. For the rest of the trip, camping and being in the outdoors is the name of the game. I will even buy a small BBQ for those nights when we are camping out of the car. There is nothing like a BBQ steak and salmon dinner.

Thanks again.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

I got tired from all the hiking just reading it! I'm not a hiker, but good luck to you and it sounds interesting.

Where are you going to be for July 4th? Sealife Center in Seward is worth a visit. Have you thought about kayaking and getting off those worn feet?? ; )

Fishing at the end of your trip is a good idea. You could have the fish processed, vacuum sealed and frozen then put in a cooler and take on the plane back home.

Moby Di ck's is the hostel in Seward and there's another 15 miles out of town called Snow River Hostel. You could also check out the Swan's Nest in Seward, more like a hostel but own room and neat woodwork.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

I like your itinerary. I have hiked parts of it a few decades ago, and expect you will thoroughly enjoy it! I imagine you will do your homework on the type of wilderness you will encounter, but two tricks I recommend for crossing glacier streams is to pick teh most braided / broadest part of the river for your crossing, as it should be the shallowest. The water source is just a few mies away at the glaciers, so a hot day will flood the streams after a hot day in teh sun. Water will be lower early in the morning, after the water has flown on and before the glaciers start to melt again. Before crossing a stream I like to take plastic bread bags and put them on over my socks and seal them with rubber bands, then put on a pair of tennis shoes to cross the river. The bags will likely leak, but they stop the ice water from flowing over your exposed feet. Then you can dry off and change into dry socks and hiking boots.

They also recommend a walking stick for crossing a stream. I have never used one, but it is a good idea - fast water and round rocks are not the most stable surface! Obviously, when camping thing of shelter from wind, particularly in the passes, as well as the Denali view. 4AM is supposed to be a magic time to roll over and check out the mountain. It worked for me.

Eielson VC is supposed to be closed again this year, I understand, so you may have to hike a few miles to Fish Creek to catch a return bus.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

Sorry about the extra hiking details, I probably should have condensed those days down for easier reading.

Thanks for the suggestions, I planned to bring my neoprene socks and sandles for crossing streams (I like dry feet) but the bags sound like a light-wieght backup and I have seen all these perople in the Tetons walking with "ski poles" so I looked into them. I found that these poles actually help to hake the load off your hips, knees and ankles by something like 30%, so I picked up a pair and I will see how it goes.

I should be in Seweard for the 4th, so they have community events scheduled for the evening? I am thinking we will be on our scenic criuse until about 7pm or so.

I have actually stayed at MobyDick's last summer for a coupl eof nights and had a great time. I was travelling solo and met many wonderful people and shared stories. It was my first time in the hostel environment and I look forward to trying a coupl e of them during the last week.

Anybody have a suggestions or comments on charter fishing from Sewrad versus Homer? Do you have any recomendations or special considerations?

Thanks again,

- Kery

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

Haven't backpacked for a couple of years now and really enjoyed reading your hiking plans (can I come with you guys?)........

You may want to check out the forum at Backpacker.com......their responders could answer a lot of your questions about Denali and provide you with specific suggestions......

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

Ohhh don't feel bad about the length of your post...I was referring to being tired by the hiking, not reading it...lol

Seward....4th July...You might enjoy the races up and back down Mt Marathon. They close off downtown streets for the race and craft /food vendors.

6. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:56 pm, February 11, 2007
7. Re: Final Trip Planning for Father & Son June 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 23, 2009