We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Furnace Creek to Mojave

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Furnace Creek to Mojave

We are undertaking a road trip which will cover lots of wonderful places. I am however looking for guidance on one section of our route.

Due to timescales we are unable to make the official tour of Edwards Air Force Base which is a bit of a let down as we are in the area on the day that the tour runs. Still it would be great if we could hop out and take a few pics like our friends did a couple of years ago. My problem is that we are completely tied into our itinerary so we figure that hopefully we can do this on the way back from Death Valley before we head to Vegas.

I appreciate that it would be easier for us to say follow the 95 into Vegas from the north end but this is a "must stop" as we bumped the tour in favour of other things and my other half is not that happy about it. From google mapping it would appear that it will take around 3 hrs to get from Furnace Creek to Edwards taking the 190 and then 395. Is this time true or just best scenario?

Thank you all in advance

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Furnace Creek to Mojave

I'd count more on 4 hours door to door between FC and the Base and another 3.5-4 hours to Las Vegas after that.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Furnace Creek to Mojave

Hello browsing210, and welcome to the Death Valley National Park forum.

Bless your other half for thinking about touring Edwards Air Force Base! I've taken the tour myself, and it is very educational and worthwhile, even for a native "Son of the Right Stuff" as I am. Plenty of folks from around the US and internationally on the tour, too. Word is getting out. . . thanks for the kind word for us.

According to Bing Maps, it's 192.9 miles, 4 hours, 1 minute of straight driving time. Yep, the Mojave Desert is that expansive. I can tell you from experience it's half a day (7 AM to around 12 PM) to get to Pahrump, Nevada just past Death Valley to the east of Furnace Creek from my home here in the Antelope Valley, which is not far from Edwards AFB.

Here's a consolation prize of sorts for you: Death Valley often gets flyovers of Edwards AFB's test runs. Overnight, there's the possibility of flights too, especially to the Nevada Test Site siting of legendary "Area 51" which you cannot get to. . . trust me, and I had "Q" clearance to get there to drive employee passengers to and from the place. That's the only way to get in without getting shot at by the security guards onsite.

So be ready with your camera and be on the lookout for some possible low or midrange altitude flights originating out of Edwards. Happens a reasonable amount of days per year, but one can never know ahead of time what those days might be.

Hope this proves helpful to you. Enjoy your Southwestern USA vacation with us.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Furnace Creek to Mojave

Thank you very much for your replies. I was thinking the same time wise especially as I'm driving the desert leg and not known for going over speed limits. I guess we will have to think about it a bit more and may not make a firm decision until we are there. I will also let my other half know what you've said about the flights over the area so we can keep a look out lol

4. Re: Furnace Creek to Mojave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 20, 2015