We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving west from Vegas

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving west from Vegas

We're planning a drive through Death Valley from Vegas, ultimately ending up in Carmel but planning to stop overnight somewhere near Bakersfield. What are the best routes? Also I'm not great with mountainous roads where there are steep drops at the side of the road. Are there barriers etc? Or are there particular routes I should avoid. Any rough ideas on timings allowing for stopping to enjoy the scenery would also be useful.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving west from Vegas

Can you please give us a better idea of just how nervous you get? Does it matter if the road is asphalt? Do side rails make everything tolerable? It will help us to answer if we can better understand because there are quite a few mountain roads where you want to go.

ZB

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving west from Vegas

Asphalt is fine and yes so long as there are barriers I'm fine!

3. Re: Driving west from Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 13, 2015