We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most "Scenic" Entrance

Vancouver
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Most "Scenic" Entrance

I'm going to be driving into Death Valley from Las Vegas, and, if anyone has any experience on the subject, I'm wondering which of the entrances is most scenic/gives you a feel for the scale of the place.

For example, I've driven in via the west entrance and found it to be very interesting how you climb in elevation on that windy road, then begin a steady descent with views of the valley growing larger and larger in the distance and below.

I don't think any of the east entrances could quite stack up to that ( I've done the route through Pahrump - past the Amargosa Opera House - on the road that takes you past Zabriskie Point and ending up at Furnace Creek, found it very scenic but not quite as "wow!" )

But if anyone has any suggestions that would be cool.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Most "Scenic" Entrance

I think Frisco Roadrunner hit the nail on the head with the observation that the western entrance is probably more dramatic than the eastern ones due to the geology of Death Valley, in that the western entrance involves going over a much higher mountain range and thus results in a big, dramatic entrance.

I'll never forget my first drive into the valley from the west. It was a sunny morning in Bishop, California when we awoke... Drove up into the mountains to find it raining and the temperature in the high 30s/low 40s... Then, the long descent down into the valley, where the truck thermometer climbed a degree it seemed every minute or so. When we got to the bottom the thermostat read 92! Just beautiful. That first big view of the long, salt-covered valley bottom is one I'll never forget. Would love for other first timers to have a similar experience.

I'm thinking I may go with Beatty route on the way, Badwater route way back.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Most "Scenic" Entrance

There is something wonderful about coming in from Beatty on 374, and stopping at Hell's gate to buy your pass, that always awes me. You get a great view to the west and to the SW there.

I'm not sure about not using rentals on onpaved roads. Check with your deal. I think the key word here is "maintained" gravel roads. If rental firms didn't allow driving on gravel roads that would negate perhaps 90% of main DV sites as most you have to drive a least a little on gravel roads to get to them. I see rentals everywhere there.

If you have a suv type rental Titus would be fine. People drive it in everything. It appears to be in good shape right now.

13. Re: Most "Scenic" Entrance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 22, 2014