We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

South Australia...
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

Hi all - I will post this on the Californian forum as well, but will start here.

We are from Australia, driving mid July - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Mammouth Mountain -Yosemite (where we have a chalet booked) over a period of 10 days or so.

Is there fresh fruit and veg and meat available once we leave Las Vegas. I am talking about apples, oranges, potatoes, pumpkin,beans, steaks, burgers etc.

We want to cater for ourselves at Yosemite and will have an esky to keep food in if we can buy it.

I have to say I'm not really sure what you guys eat over there but if we can get hold of some steak and lamb chops or lamb roast we would be pretty happy campers.

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

You'll need a cooler (esky) for groceries if you purchase them at the Von's grocery store in Mammoth Lakes. It's a long drive into Yosemite (Foresta?), especially if you're stopping in Tuolumne Meadows along the way. There is also a grocery store in Yosemite Valley that is pretty well stocked tho' the prices are higher.

Be sure you empty your car of food or anything that smells when you park the car at night.

>>I'm not really sure what you guys eat over there<< Americans eat a little bit of everything.

I hope you don't limit yourself to apples & oranges in July. Stone fruit will be in season along with berries & melons. Pumpkins probably won't be widely available as that's a fall crop, but there will be a few high priced winter squash for folks who insist. Look for corn on the cob, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, and peas.

When you exit Yosemite and head across the Central Valley toward Napa, look for some produce stands for very fresh fruits & veggies.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

We don't have or eat vegemite or roo meat (thank god for that), but just about everything else you eat. But like pacific said, be sure your car don't have any smell that resembles food or a bear may break your car open like a tin can.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

Thanks for the tip about the bears !!

Can't say we love Roo or Vegemite but looking forward to trying anything in a butchers shop over there.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

I'm not a meat eater, but Von's and other grocery stores usually have a well stocked meat department. Some stores have a butcher visible from the shopping area and some have a butcher in the back. I don't know about the Von's at Mammoth Lakes.

If trying some US beef, lamb, pork, etc is a priority for you, then I suggest asking on some of the big city forums where you'll be staying in a vacation rental. But if your only vacation rental is in Yosemite, then I guess you'll be shopping at Von's.

If you have questions about your tourism in Death Valley NP, then this is a great place to ask.

If you want more information about bears in the Sierra Nevada mountains and particularly in Yosemite, check the Top Questions on the Yosemite forum. I have read about folks having bear trouble in Mammoth Lakes as well, so be Bear Aware. Don't even leave empty water bottles or empty grocery sacks in the car.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,886 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

If you are renting a home near Yosemite, do as everyone says and do not leave so much as a crumb in your vehicle. Take everything inside and store it in airtight containers in cabinets, or in the fridge. Even in populated areas, bear forage everywhere for food. A candy wrapper, unopened food item, ice chest (I guess that's an esky), or container of skin lotion, sunscreen, toothpaste, or anything that looks edible or has a scent is enough to get their attention.

Yosemite campgrounds have armor-plated food bins, called bear boxes. They were developed from research and observations at Yosemite. I may not be correct, but I think failure to use them when needed is a citable offense.

The towns around Lake Tahoe are plagued with bear burglaries. Bears often hit vacation homes that are unoccupied for long periods of time. The critters just bash doors or windows in or wrench them off and go in and help themselves.

Death Valley does not have big, powerful predatory or scavenger animals, but ravens and coyotes hang around camp or picnic areas looking for food. They aren't strong strength to peel the roof off a vehicle, so DV has less stringent rules. The "solid, non-pliable, animal resistant container" could be a hard-sided ice chest and may be kept out on a picnic table; in Yosemite that would be inadequate.

(From Death Valley park rules and regulations)

Food Storage

• All unattended food, garbage, cooking equipment or similar scented items must be sealed in a vehicle or a solid, non-pliable, animal resistant container.

Animals that feed on human food can become reliant on it and less adapted to the natural conditions of Death Valley National Park. Frequently fed animals can become a nuisance and be aggressive and cause litter to be strewn about campsites and picnic areas.

Edited: 8:16 pm, February 19, 2013
South Australia...
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

Thanks again for the bear bits.

Hopefully we are'nt part of the food chain. Guessing you don't get out of the car if you see one??

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,711 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

If you're in a car, you're right....don't get out if its close...

but we've also seen the bears on the trails; close by to restaurants, swimming across a lake in eastern Sierras and so forth. Just ignore them and they pretty much ignore you...

but keeping food in a car as stated is a no no.

I'd probably try to buy groceries prior to entering Yosemite park. There is a huge grocery store Vons in Mammoth Lakes area which will have pretty much everything you will want to stock up on..

local.vons.com/ca/mammoth-lakes-2400.html

'

If you like baked goods or good sandwiches, there is a really good bakery in Bishop on your drive...

do stop if you are so inclined.

yelp.com/biz/erick-schats-bakkery-bishop-2

Yosemite does have a gocery but prices are higher - but you'll find most things you may have forgotten and wanted.

If you happen to be driving on a Wednesday, Mammoth Lakes also has a farmers market from 4-7.

Edited: 8:56 pm, February 19, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,886 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

The bakery in Bishop is Erick Schat's, which has Dutch style pastries and sheepherder bread. (They also have a store at Mammoth, but Bishop is their home). Another good place in Bishop is the Mahogany Smokehouse. They make ham, bacon, etc. with mahogany collected from downed trees in the national forests; they don't cut down any. They also make a couple dozen varieties of jerky and snack sausages.

Both of these places will make sandwiches or other deli items.

9. Re: Fresh Food Las Vagas -Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 21, 2014