We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from San Bernardino

Loma Linda, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Going from San Bernardino

Hi,

On a whim, I've decided to take my mom to Death Valley tomorrow. I've been once before but it was with the Sierra Club and camping. I plan on only staying 1 night there. Could you please give me suggestions with how/where to stay and what would be available to see with where we'll be? My mom is not the camping type. I will be brining my dad and cat too.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Maggi

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,576 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from San Bernardino

This might be too late for you, and with such a spur of the moment trip, it might be challenging to find a place to stay. I hope you found a vacancy. Mother's Day weekend is popular, because many people like to take Mom for the Sunday brunch at the Furnace Creek Inn. The Inn closes for the summer after this weekend.

Ironically, San Bernardino is one of the closer metro areas to Death Valley but the options for going to and from are limited because there is so much restricted military area in between. Many people would logically look at I-15 via Barstow and Baker as the best way, but it is one of the least interesting and dramatic. It’s a lot of time on the boring interstate, concentrating more on traffic rushing between LA and LV, than on scenery. Hwy 395 is nicer, but that also isn’t very exciting until you get past Kramer Junction and into the historic mining country. You could take one road in and the other returning, to vary the scenery.

If you enter from Baker, you have a choice at Shoshone, of either Badwater Road or Hwy 127 and 190. Badwater is about 15 miles longer, and with limited time, I’d suggest the other route. The other advantage of that is that you can go to Dante’s View on the way in, and Zabriskie Point, and then see the Badwater sights afterward because the main natural wonders are in the northern 15 miles.

Either Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells Village would be fine to stay at—-only 25 miles difference. Sights near Stovepipe include the Devil's Cornfield and Sand Dunes, and a beautiful hike at Mosaic Canyon. Without any time to plan, you may have to take whatever is available, but they are both good places with all visitor services and a variety of things to see and do nearby. Both allow pets, although DV in almost-summer isn’t the most pet-friendly environment. You can’t leave animals unattended in the rooms, and you wouldn’t want to leave a pet in a closed car for an extended time. A cat would need a secure carrier or harness so you can leave windows ajar, and the cat would need water.

To go home on 395, you’d take 190 past Stovepipe Wells, then turn off at Emigrant Canyon Road and go through a beautiful mountainous area (with trees) until it becomes Trona-Wildrose Road. This will get you to Ridgecrest and 395.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,576 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from San Bernardino

Just wondering how this trip turned out

3. Re: Going from San Bernardino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 16, 2013