We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ability to Visit in Late May

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
34 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Ability to Visit in Late May

Hi,

I have looked around on trip advisor and also done alot of searches on the internet around this topic but figured I would ask to see if anybody has had the experience of visiting Death Valley in May.

I am going to california late may and seeing numerous parks/places (yosemite, sequoia, san diego). Still have the chance to see Dealty Valley for a day. Some of the sites in Death Valley look really great in terms of being completely different and really unique.

My basic question is:

1). Has anybody had any car issues with overheating or seen alot of car overheating if you do the basic drives in Death Valley (no off-roads) in late May or even June, July, or August? I am taking an intermediate size rental car. If I would go there, I would take numerous gallons of water in case a car does overheat. I just wanted to see if anybody has has any good/bad experiences with visiting in peak summer season.

I would like to just see some basic things and do a small amount of walking (nothing really long) due to the hot weather. I don't invision getting back ot this area for a long time and am still considering adding it to the trip.

Thanks,

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ability to Visit in Late May

You really have very little to worry about. Most rental cars are only a year or two old and generally in pretty good shape. The odds of you overheating one is pretty slim. If you stick to the main roads, you are not alone out there if something does happen.

The car manufacturers actually test cars and their cooling systems in DV and the surrounding desert.They are the ones with the odd looking black covers on them to disguise the new designs.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ability to Visit in Late May

You will see things like this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAYP9Or78q4

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,907 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ability to Visit in Late May

Death Valley will be warm in May, but not as warm as it will get later in the year. I've been to Death Valley in every season of the year and never had any weather-related vehicle problems.

Read the thread on the "Top Questions" corner about enjoying summer travel in Death Valley. Those tips are for the hotter months, but even in July and August, vehicles are fine if you don't abuse them or bring old unreliable junkers. In summer, it's the people we worry about more than the cars.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ability to Visit in Late May

Way to go on that video, Dez!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ability to Visit in Late May

Never had problems driving in DV with but there are "Radiator Water" signs.. And Radiator Wayer is not a ghosttown ;)

Btw Dez, looks like "Nightrider" was driving that VW.

6. Re: Ability to Visit in Late May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:43 pm, June 18, 2013