We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley to Yosemite in April

Surrey
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Death Valley to Yosemite in April

Hello!

I will be driving from Death Valley to Yosemite (Yosemite view Lodge in El Portal) in April. I understand that the Tioga Road is likely to be closed. Can anyone tell me what the best route for me will be?

Many thanks :)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley to Yosemite in April

The 'best' route might be Tioga Pass, but you're right. It's highly likely that it will still be closed for the season.

The 'winter' route is around the southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountain range through Bakersfield and north on Hwy 99.

This article describes all the routes and includes historical data about opening times and links to the California road conditions: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581

The 'around the southern end of the Sierra' route described in the Traveler Article leads you to the South Entrance on Hwy 41. You might prefer to aim for El Portal & the Hwy 140 / Arch Rock entrance. I suggest driving to Oakhurst and then going north on Hwy 49 to Mariposa to catch Hwy 140. The Merced River canyon drive on Hwy 140 between Mariposa & El Portal is particularly scenic in the spring. Hopefully there will still be some poppies in bloom when you head up the canyon.

Surrey
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley to Yosemite in April

Thank you very much!

The route you have suggested through Oakhurst, how long do you think would that would take to drive?

3. Re: Death Valley to Yosemite in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, April 05, 2013