We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley in April with 1 stopover

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley in April with 1 stopover

My original plan was to drive from Vegas to Mammoth Lakes via DV, spend the night there and then continue on to Yosemite and SF the next day. Unfortunately I only just discovered that the Tioga Road is closed at this time of the year.

What is the best way to see the best of both of these parks over 2 days? Day 1 will begin in LV and Day 2 will end in SF. Should I plan on cutting one of them to make the most of the other?

I was thinking of going from LV to Fresno via DV, staying the night there and then going on to Yosemite the next day.

Any advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley in April with 1 stopover

HI

Last year Tioga Pass only opened june 18 and the year before on june 5. But little snow this year in the Sierras so I guess you'll be fine.

I'd add a night between Death Valley and Yosemite. There's so much to see along Eastern Sierras and the drive into Yosemite is better done in the morning with the sun behind you.

6/8: To Death Valley

6/9: Death Valley to Mammoth Lakes or Lee Vining

6/10: Into Yosemite

6/11: Yosemite

6/12: To San Francisco

6/13: San Francisco.

But if you want to stay longer in San Francisco you'll have to drive to Yosemite in one day.

Make sure you'll have your reservations for Yosemite.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley in April with 1 stopover

In June, I would not sacrifice time in San Francisco to stay in Death Valley. Death Valley is a wonderful destination in April but it will be horribly hot in June. Many Europeans go there then because they feel they will never have another opportunity (or perhaps because they are masochists) but it really is not a good time of year to visit unless you spend most of your time in the car.

Unless you really have to visit it, save Death Valley for another time and enjoy more time in Yosemite and San Francisco.

13. Re: Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley in April with 1 stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 am, June 18, 2013