We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routes Vegas- DV-to 395 South

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Routes Vegas- DV-to 395 South

Hi -- I have reposted a question from the Sequoia forum, hoping some DV experts can help out. Thanks! The post is as follows:

I hope you can help with the following. Driving into Death Valley from Vegas, would you leave #95 at the 374 or the 373, to see the best sights in DV (Zabriskie Point, etc)? And do you have any favorite must-see spots in Death Valley-- great views, etc? What about staying in Death Valley at the Furnace Creek Inn?

I also noticed that Mere suggested leaving DV on the 190 to the 136 north to Lone Pine, even though Ally is heading south. Is that road much better, faster or more scenic than the un-numbered road that goes thru Trona and ends near Ridgecrest?

Finally, are there any great spots on the 395 or 190 for panoramic views of the Sierras?

sorry for so many questions, but any help would be appreciated!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Routes Vegas- DV-to 395 South

Hi Pasca.

Best way to enter DV is from LV intersection 33 on I 15, hw 160 to Pahrump and hw 190 to Death Valley Junction. It's not a particularly scenic route. In DV NP left to Dante's View. Back same road and 190 to Zabriskie Point. Must sees are Badwater, Devils Golf Course, Artist Drive and many more sights. Visiting the Scotty's Castle area adds at least 3-4 hours.

Furnace Creek Inn is just another hotel and it fills up quickly, so if you want to stay there, make reservations.

Visit Furnace Creek Visitor Center to learn about this magnificent area and pay your fee over there.

Taking hw 190 and 136 to Lone Pine or taking hw 178 (it has a number!) from Stove Pipe Wells-Emigrant to Ridgecrest depends on your destination. The last one is the most direct route to LA. 190/136 is much easier and it leads to Lone Pine where you should stay at least one day and visit Sierra Nevada. The panoramic views on the mountains from Lone Pine are unforgettable.

Pumps are in Furnace Creek and Stove Pipe Wells (and Scotty's Castle) but prices are skyhigh.

Tet

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Routes Vegas- DV-to 395 South

TET14,who are u kidding? Furnace Creek Inn ...just another hotel.......

When making a judgement like that,i would be suspicious of your suggestions.............

Stayed at Furnace Creek Inn 2 nights One of a kind...EXqisite.....

Also signature of D. V.

When u said Scottys Castle adds about 3 hrs you are right but what an awesome 3 hrs + you can catch Ubehebe crater nearby.....

Dantes View right up there with Scottys Castle(both must see)

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Routes Vegas- DV-to 395 South

With regard to Pasca's post, I responded to a previous poster who was staying overnight in Lone Pine and that's why I suggested Hwy 136. The road from DV to Olancha is fine, but there are vitually no services when you arrive in Olancha, no lodging.