We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley to Long Beach

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Death Valley to Long Beach

Would have been to Yosemite for a couple of days and then to Death Valley for a night. Will be then making our way to Long Beach but need a stop over on route. Not interested in going to Palm Springs and Barstow has been suggested. What is the general feeling about this or do you have any other suggestions?(Have been to Vegas twice so not wanting to do this either).

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Death Valley to Long Beach

The Panamint Valley route goes through much of the "classic" Mojave Desert scenery that you will be able to enjoy close-up in Death Valley.Much of it is long-range vistas of the Argus and Slate ranges. While easy on the eyes, it is not as dramatic as Wildrose-Emigrant. If you want to to to Panamint Springs, you'd take this road.

Wildrose is a mountain route, with vehicles or combos longer than 25' prohibited (although I've seen bigger ones on it). A short section just inside the park boundary is unpaved. It was paved and you can still see painted lines, but it was repeatedly washed out by runoff from Wildrose Spring and storm damage, so now the NPS just grades it regularly to keep it passable for any vehicle driven carefully. The rest of the main road (excluding side roads) is paved and 2 lanes. The elevation at Emigrant Pass is around 5300' above sea level and there is a lot of greenery along the whole route. This is the road to take if you want to go to the Charcoal Kilns (rough gravel for the last 8 miles or so), Harrisburg and Aguereberry Point (rough gravel; 4wd may be needed the last couple miles to the top).

Before you get to the Harrisburg road, there is a pullout on the west side (your left) where you can park and look back at the tree-line on the west side of the Panamints. You'll see the "driveway" clearly as you come to the top of a very steep, twisty ascent.

The mileage between these two routes is similar. Wildrose will take a little longer because it's steep and curvy. If you want variety and different color and texture from what you see at lower elevations inside Death Valley proper, Wildrose is the way to go.

This route can get snow in winter, so be prepared. I have been on it in December when accumulated snow made 4wd necessary for 10-12 miles and narrowed the road to 1-lane width in places.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Death Valley to Long Beach

oops, double post

Edited: 8:13 pm, November 07, 2011
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Death Valley to Long Beach

Thanks, again!

The Emigrant Pass trail also has the historical perspective. I need to "bone up" on my DV 49ers history. I was out by Enterprise, Utah last spring and stopped to visit the monument for the infamous split-up.

I'm traveling next Sunday and curious about the upcoming storm. I'm driving a stock 2002 Jeep Cherokee 4WD.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Death Valley to Long Beach

I haven't read the WX forecasts that far ahead, so I'l have to check on them.

Occasionally, some higher-elevation roads in DV are closed when enough snow accumulates or ice forms. I think the NPS errs on the side of caution because so many of those roads are narrow and curvy with little room for error. However, in general, a stock Cherokee 4wd will be fine anywhere on Emigrant road any time it is open.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Death Valley to Long Beach

Well trip done and back home in rainy and cold UK. Were we really there? Thank you so much Frisco roadrunner and Underdog SPP for the information sent. It took us ages to finally decide which sights to see and the way to go en route. Left Yosemite and on to Death Valley. We left Yosemite on the Tioga Pass Road, and it took us 4 hours to do the 1st 100 miles!! Hubby kept wanting to stop to take pictures. So, so scenic. Really out of this world, and we saw a Bear, had given up hope! We joined US 395 south and stopped at Bishop for refreshments. We finally arrived at Furnance Creek after just under 10 hours but we so enjoyed the trip. Stayed at DV for 2 nights and then made our way to Long Beach via Trona, petrol was really cheap here, we saw the Pinnacles from afar, but missed the Turnoff for them. Is it signposted? We also stopped en route at the Mojave SpacePort, as suggested by you, a must-see. We really wanted to thank you both for the time you took to respond to they original question, it was a great help and we wanted you to know that it is greatly appreciated

16. Re: Death Valley to Long Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 11, 2013