We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

april weather in DV

San Diego...
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
april weather in DV

we r planning to go to DV first week of april. What will the weather be like? will it be very hot? can we see wildflowers?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: april weather in DV

By early April, it's already starting to get pretty toasty. Spring comes early in Death Valley and doesn't last long.

Here is the weather page from the park website. You can use the different links to see today's forecast, real-time conditions, historical averages and extremes, even the averages for each day of the year.

www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/weather.htm

The wildflowers will be gone or on the way out at most of the lower elevations. The prime season to see wildflowers around the Valley floor up to sea level is early to mid March. The park boundaries include more than just the geological formation known as Death Valley, and elevations within the park go up to 11,049' above sea level. The rule of thumb is about 5°F difference per 1000' elevation change, so when it's 95° at Furnace Creek, it will be in the 60s at Dante's View Point.

So there should still be flowers in the mountains. The high point is in the Panamint Range, the mountains that form the west wall of the Valley. You can't drive to the top of Telescope Peak, but you can drive along the Emigrant-Wildrose Road and a short way into some of the canyons and see flowers. There are different kinds at different elevations, because of varying humidity, soil salinity and alkalinity, and other factors.

I think my favorite DV mountain flowers are the globemallow, which is a beautiful deep apricot color; and the Panamint daisy, a cheerful flower with purplish petals and a bright yellow center.

On the left side of the park website, go to "Nature" for more info on plants and flowers. You can also call the visitor center at 760-786-3200 to ask for current updates. If you're lucky, you'll talk to Charlie Callagan.

Mentioned in this post
Furnace Creek Campground
Furnace Creek Campground
69 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
Dante's View
Dante's View
1,875 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: april weather in DV

thanks for the detailed info....hopefully it will be 90s and not 100s when we go. looks like it will be more pleasant in the evenings so we'll have to do all our activities then.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: april weather in DV

If you're accustomed to summer weather on the East Coast, DV should be pretty comfortable. The humidity is very low, so you don't get the sweltering sensation that coastal climates have when it's hot.

If you haven't decided where to stay, you should think about it pretty soon, and make reservations. Spring (even the warmer periods) is a popular visitor season. Easter is late this year, so visitors may still be coming in large numbers in early April.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: april weather in DV

well...actually I haven't updated my profile yet...I live in san diego now since mid 2007. I guess it will be like the dry heat we get here in summer. I already booked at furnace creek ranch for 2 nights. Any input on that place?

5. Re: april weather in DV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...