We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

We'll be tying a trip to DVNP onto the end of a conference in Vegas in January. We've just booked our flights so the dates are now set. Still working out the details of what to do each day and I will work more on that over the coming weeks. My question now has to do with the last two days.

First the plans so far:

Friday leave LV drive to Beatty. Need internet/wifi that night and I think there are a couple of options in Beatty for that.

Sat and Sun DVNP, two nights in SPW Village, rooms booked. I will be working on which areas to see / hikes to plan / etc / for each day, and will probably be back with questions after I've done more planning.

We've done a day trip to LVNP about 5 yrs ago so at least have a sense of the place and have visited a couple of sites.

Monday..... what to do, where to stay. Mon night need internet/wifi again. (We're business owners and must attend to our clients while traveling so this is essential.)

Tuesday - must arrive back in LV by 2PM to return car, catch flight at 5PM. Can probably fit in some additional sites Tues AM.

Options for Mon / Tues - More of DVNP, or Mojave Natl Preserve (MNP)? Both Primm and Pahrump have lodging options with wifi. Shoshone, Tecopa, Armagosa Valley, DV Junction apparently do not (unless I'm missing something....)

We like to hike / birdwatch / explore / see the beauty. We also like to eat great food, but are just as happy to nibble on cheese/fruit/bread in the room, so there is no need for us to be close to dining options.

Where to stay Mon night - Pahrump or Primm?

Should we try to do some of MNP on Monday/Tues AM or should we go back into DVNP? It looks like there are more than enough hikes in DVNP to keep us occupied for 3 days, but then again MNP looks tantalizing and is (sort of) right on the way back to LV and is closer to Primm if we end up there....

THANKS for any suggestions!

T2E :-)

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

FR I learned about Sidewinder on the Hiking Around Las Vegas site.

birdandhike.com/Hike/…_Sidewinder.htm - click on the map link from there for a topo map of the trail

The canyon is 14.8 miles south of Badwater - also the same trailhead for Willow Canyon. It has three little slot canyons off of the main canyon - looks pretty cool. There are just too darned many canyons in DVNP!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,428 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

Hmmm, you learn something new every day. I checked my maps for that location, and it's a canyon I haven't explored. To be truthful, I don't know if anyone has been into every canyon in Death Valley. I'm not even sure anyone knows how many there are. Well, the USGS knows, but I mean individual people :)

I don't know what's up those slot canyons. So you'll have to tell us when you get back. This is on the side of Smith Mountain, which is a challenging climb. It rises very abruptly from the Valley floor, and people climbing it typically start from the Greenwater Valley side. If you look at topo maps, you can see that none of that mountain is an easy slope.

This is a pretty desolate area, in fact this little mountain range is called the Black Mountains because the vegetation is sparse and makes the hills look bare from a distance.

BTW, Smith Mtn. was named for Francis Marion "Borax" Smith. He co-owned Harmony Borax Works north of Furnace Creek and was the West's first real borax entrepreneur and among the great "unknown" empire builders of the West. He did not do much in the area of the mountain, if anything. The promontory sticking westward out of this range is called Mormon Point, after Mormon explorers who passed through in the 1850s and 60s. But it is documented that the mountain was named for F.M. Smith by an official of the Pacific Coast Borax Co., not for the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith.

TMI for some folks, essential nutrition for dyed-in-the-wool Death Valley enthusiasts. :)

Now where was I? Oh, right, Sidewinder Canyon. LLLOL!

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

I will definitely report back after our visit. FR there's no way you or anyone (except perhaps someone for whom that was their career) could visit every inch of DVNP. You certainly have a wealth of knowledge, not just the natural sites but the history, which for us makes a trip even more interesting. I appreciate the tidbit about Smith.

And after all these borax discussions I feel compelled to put borax on the shopping list. Seems so odd that stuff that comes out of the ground (and so could perhaps be called dirt...) can actually make clothing cleaner.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

Ash Meadows is right off of Stateline Road ... the road you'd be taking to Pahrump. You don't have to loop around. You could drive back to Stateline Road. It wouldn't be out of your way at all.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

Yes, you could drive back and not loop around but don't miss Chrystal Reservoir and esp. Chrystal Spring Boardwalk and the road to the boardwalk is "around te corner" so it will be easier to loop around. Btw, you are entering Ash Meadows from Bell Vista Road. It gets the name State Line Road in Ca.

Tet

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

I must be missing something, or choosing an ill-advised road. (I have been known to lead us down roads that require driving through creeks and strategically placing rocks to make it across the creek in an almost-brand-new car, so this is quite possible :-) )

Plans are to leave Sidewinder Canyon (which is 15 mi south of Badwater), and continue s. on Badwater Rd, which is (or becomes) CA 178, into Shoshone. From Shoshone I was planning to continue on CA 178 / NV 372 over to Pahrump. DV Junction, where State Line Road begins, is 28 mi North of Shoshone on CA 127, so that would seem to be quite a detour north.

It comes down to - which is the better route from Shoshone to Pahrump (which in this case means quicker.)

Option 1, CA 178 / 372.

Option 2, CA127 n to DV Junction, then State Line Rd / Bella Vista / Ash Meadows Rd.

Option 3, backtrack from Sidewinder north past Badwater to Furnace creek, then exit park vi CA 190 to DV Junction, then state Line Rd / bella Vista / Ash Meadows Rd. to Pahrump.

Were it not for time constraints we would definitely have Ash Meadows on the plan. And who knows, if we find we are too tired / out of shape to do the hiking we have planned we may revamp the whole thing. So I do appreciate the specific suggestions of what to do in the event we DO make it there.

Back to the question - which is the quicker option of the 3 listed above? Many thanks for the help!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

oops! Assumed you were leaving out the east entrance.

Fastest from your hike might be through Jubilee Pass/Shoshone/Pahrump. My daughters like climbing the hills near the pass - the views are great!

You'll be backtracking no matter what. But, I've never really kept track of time on any of the three routes. My preference would for backtracking past Ash Meadows either through the park or behind it (I love Stateline-Bell Vista because it basically cuts straight through from DV to Pahrump turn right and on to Vegas.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

Quickest route is option 1: Willow Creek-Soshone-178/372 to Pahrump.

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

Thanks Tet and Xo. At least we have a tentative plan. After things settle down a bit (darned business stuff gets in the way of travel planning!) we're going to revisit the plan to see if we can juggle and fit in some of the suggestions from FriscoRR, you two, and others who have generously posted here on TA.

30. Re: DVNP in Jan - add Mojave or not? wifi for one night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 15, 2009