We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

At the end of June we will be travelling from Vegas to Death Valley and then on towards Lone Pine. I was wondering if it is necessary to pre-book a nights accomodation or can will there be enough places with vacancies between DV and Lone Pine to stop at ?

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

The risk you take by not booking ahead is if you can't find a place to stay you have a long drive to the next town which also may be sold out. Personally I would not take that risk. Lone Pine is a small town and the accomodations can easily sell out. One time we stayed in Lone Pine and there were power company employees on a local project, who had booked out half the motel for 3 months!

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

Thanks for the info will definetly book ahead then.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

There are no places between Death Valley and Lone Pine with lodging. Panamint Springs resort is within the park, about 50 miles east of Lone Pine.

North of Lone Pine are Independence, Big Pine, and Bishop, which all have lodging. Bishop is the biggest town and is about 60 miles from Lone Pine.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

Book ahead! Besides no need to worry where you are going to be spending the night you will probably also save money as advance reservations often get better rates than walk-in guests. I remeber checking-in at a property in Lone Pine with an advance reservation. The guests after me, who had just walked in, were give a rate 25 $ higher and our rooms were similar and right next door.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

From DV to Lone Pine with short visits to some of the best known sites in DV will take most of the day. Accomodation in the NP in Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells and Panamint Springs. Good and well priced accomodation in Lone Pine. We have been 3 times to LP without a reservation but that was in april/may and september. I second the others, better make a resevation end of june. And also enjoy Lone Pine, a little gem at the foot of Mount Whitney.

Tet

6. Re: DV/Lone Pine is pre-booking accomodation in June a must ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 23, 2009