We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Klamath Falls to Bend--best route for Crater Lake?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Klamath Falls to Bend--best route for Crater Lake?

Going to a family reunion in the Bend area. We have most of a day to get to Bend from Klamath Falls. Since i haven't been to CL in about 40 yrs i thought we'd stop by on our way to Bend. Do we need to take 62 from Chiloquin both into and out of CL on our way to Bend or is there another route heading north that is better?. Any visitor's center or decent museum there? I mainly want pix of the lake but we enjoy learning about the site too. Also would you recommend any other sites along the way between Kfalls and Bend? Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Klamath Falls to Bend--best route for Crater Lake?

As long as your visit is not in winter or spring, you can exit out the north side of CLNP. From Klamath Falls, take Hwy 97 north. A few miles (not many) after 62 branches off from 97, there is an excellent outdoor 'old west / logging' museum at Chiloquin:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51804-d29…

There is a small cutoff road to get to Hwy 62 right around there but I don't know the name of it. Anyway, from CL -- you'll probably want to take the west rim drive -- just continue on the road that goes to the north gate; I think it's called North Entrance Road. Then turn right on Hwy 138 and north on Hwy 97 toward Bend.

You may also want to drive the Cascade Lakes scenic byway, Rte 46, which sort of roughly parallels Hwy 97.

2. Re: Klamath Falls to Bend--best route for Crater Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 20, 2015