We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing charters at Crater Lake

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing charters at Crater Lake

Do any companies offer fishing trips on the lake? I'd love to go out on a boat and see what I catch but I don't have any gear with me and I only have 1 day at the lake.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing charters at Crater Lake

From Crater Lake National Park website:

Are there any fish in the lake? Where can I go fishing?

Fish are not native to the lake. They were introduced in the lake from 1888-1941. Six species were originally stocked, but only two have survived to today: Rainbow Trout and Kokanee Salmon. Because they are not native to the lake, fishing is not only allowed, it's encouraged. No license is required and there is no limit on how many you may catch - the only rule is that you must use artificial bait. We don't want to accidentally introduce any other species into the lake. Fishing is allowed along the shoreline and on Wizard Island (with the purchase of a boat tour and Wizard Island ticket.)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing charters at Crater Lake

To get to the shore of the lake, you have to hike down a steep trail for over a mile. Then hike back up! This is at high elevation and is considered strenuous. You could probably rent fishing gear in Medford or other town not too far away.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing charters at Crater Lake

Try these folks: thingstodonearcraterlake.com/on-the-water/fi…

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing charters at Crater Lake

If you don't have any gear with you, check into renting it before you arrive. Being down at the lake is absolutely stunning, IME. The trail down can be strenuous for some people, but we have done it many times with elderly and very young kids, and none has had any issues, FWIW. There are benches along the way if you need to rest. I would highly suggest taking the boat ride out to Wizard Island. Just being at the shore at the bottom of the trail is interesting, but once out on the boat you really realize just how vast it all is, and Wizard Island itself is pretty cool.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing charters at Crater Lake

There are no fishing charters, but you can fish at the side of the lake as much as you want -- they would love nothing more for you to fish all the fish out of the lake, since they're not native to it. You don't need a license and there's no limit.

You do have to climb down the 1.1 mile trail, which is 700 ft from top to bottom. So don't catch too many fish, or you might have trouble climbing back up to the crater rim!

6. Re: Fishing charters at Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 05, 2015