We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake

Saipan, Mariana...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake

My wife and I plan to drive down from Portland to Crater Lake, Sunday Sept. 7. I wanted to spend 1 night there at CL Lodge, but unfortunately it's already booked out for the whole month. I hate to sound like a prude, but we really wanted something comparatively upper end or if not to be able to camp either on or with a view of the lake. A contrast I admit, but this is what we prefer. Anyway after CL we will be continuing our journey to Bandon. If we left Portland early say 7am could we do east or west rim drive and the boat ride and than drive out on our way, but not all the way to Bandon? If so are there any nice places to stay along the way?

Thanks

Crater Lake
Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water, National Parks, Volcanos, Waterfalls
Rim Drive
Scenic Drives
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake

Figure 4.5 hours +/- to the north entrance of Crater Lake Nation Park, which means the earliest boat you could catch would be 1:30pm. 2 hours for the boat tour, then the 1+ mile hike/walk back up to the crater rim.... Doesn't leave much to drive the rim road, and since you can't stay there, at least have a cocktail and some appetizers from the Lodge's deck overlooking the lake. And you'd want to exit the park before sunset (don't want to be driving the rim road after dark), which should be around 7:30pm. You have some choices to make, I think.

Heading from Crater Lake to Bandon, I think your best option would be the Steamboat Inn, about 50 miles from the park's north entrance. There's no place nicer that I'm aware of either in Roseburg or anywhere else along the way.

Edited: 7:02 pm, June 23, 2014
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake

The campground in Crater Lake NP is nowhere near the lake. There is lakeside camping very near at Diamond Lake, right on that lake. It's a pretty area.

Another option might be Ashland since they have some very nice B&Bs.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake

Steamboat Inn is a bit upscale. Diamond lake resort is not. But it is on the lake. I have stayed there a few times and like it. But I do not look for upscale places.

Stayed at Crater Lake Lodge once. Price was upscale, but room we got was not that wonderful. Sunset and sunrise on veranda were wonderful.

Saipan, Mariana...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake

After much research I have some updated thoughts on what to do. My original plan was on September 5 to take a trip to Columbia Gorge from Portland and staying @ Timberline Lodge. Than the next day, the 6th returning to Portland. Than early morning of the 7th heading from Portland to Crater Lake.

What I'm thinking of doing now is bypassing the return trip to Portland on the 6th and heading from Timberline towards Crater Lake on Highway 97. I've looked for a place to stop along the way (Bend or South) to either camp or hotel it for 1 night. I've narrowed it down to La Pine State Park for camping or Sunriver Resort.

Any other suggestions?

This way on the 7th I'm much closer to Crater Lake and easily can arrive in time to do a Rim drive, the boat tour of the lake and food/drinks @ the Lodge deck.

Probably will head out from there say around 7pm toward Bandon. Unfortunately phial, Steam River is all booked up. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Guys !

5. Re: Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2015