We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Like many others, I keep hearing about the horrific mosquitos in July. We'll be driving essentially right by Crater Lake in mid-July, and it's a place we've always wanted to visit, but not if we can't even get out of the car because the mosquitos are so bad. I'm not wiling to slather my 4 and 6 year old in DEET, either. I'd be willing to stay somewhere a bit away and just make a day trip to Crater Lake, but it seems like everything else in the area is equally bad.

Is there any way to predict when mosquitos will be worst this year? Are they ALWAYS as bad as it sounds like they were in July 2011? Would you visit Crater Lake in July? Where would you stay?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Hi, I share your concerns about chemicals.

There are some pretty good natural things that would be a help. Like eucalyptus or almost of that type of wood. I use them like a lotion and to shower with.. Maybe with that said, you can do your research and come up with something that would suit you? (a little like Fells Naptha is a good soap for poison oak.)

If you are happy with a day visit to CL, then Grants Pass would be where I would go. (;-) of course we used to live there and it was so quick for us) They have awesome jetboat rides that skim on as little as 4" of water. (they are so popular they will be very booked so look ahead.) Your kids will laugh so hard! They have an included meal on the river on the way back too. Too good

Alas, Crater Lake is known for mosquitoes and the only thing I can think is to make it a quick trip, wear long sleeves and pants and hope for the best.

Best,

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Hi Jennifer S and welcome to TripAdvisor. I was at Crater Lake in July once . . . and there was still several feet of snow on the ground, so no mozzies then ;-)

Are you going to be driving on I-5? There is Valley of the Rogue which is pleasant, but if you're tenting, you may hear freeway noise. I haven't camped there but have stopped at the day-use area many times and do not remember mosquitos.

Are you tenting or in some form of RV? Shady Cove has several RV parks although I haven't stayed in any of them.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

I'm guessing you're coming from Boise, passing by Crater Lake on hwy 138 on your way to.....???

I've tent camped in early September at Diamond Lake, about 10 miles from Crater Lake's north entrance. There were a few mosquitoes then, but I don't remember them being much of a problem. (That may be partly because the elevation is high enough that you'll want long sleeves in the evening.) And I've spent several August late-afternoons/evenings on the outside patio/deck at Crater Lake Lodge and don't remember mosquitoes being a problem there or then either. (Maybe that has something to do with the Lodge being so high above the lake?)

That said, Crater Lake is one of those big-bang-for-the-buck places where you don't have to spend much time see and enjoy. And with kids the ages of yours, you may not want to spend much time there anyway. So if you're passing by on hwy 138, a 2 - 4 hour detour up to and around the lake might be enough to check it off your "must see" list.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Ahh! I had forgotten those 4th of July picnics! Snow on the table..

I am guessing you would have long sleeves ;-)

Thanks for catching that you two.

Sorry

MrsO

Edited: 6:08 pm, January 24, 2014
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Welcome Jennifer S,

I would have to assume you have skeeters in Idaho. Skeeters know no boundaries.

I havent been to Crater Lake in many years, but from what i remember it wasnt that bad. I say that since when we traveled to the gulf coast area and stopped in the Everglades, that was "being eaten alive". So for the time being, its how i compare things.

ALso, we stayed at the campgrounds on the lake and it could have made it worse but it was tolerable. We usually apply some type of replellant, but you may want to consult with your doc to see what they would prescribe.

If you do go, i think you will find it really spectacular.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Diamond Lake has campgrounds on the lake and an RV park (full hookups) with a lake view. No camping around Crater Lake, though ;-)

Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

Crater Lake National Park is the only national park in Oregon, and it is found in Klamath County. There are a number of amazing camping opportunities both in the park and nearby. It is definitely worth more than a day trip! Please check out www.DiscoverKlamath.com and www.ThingsToDoNearCraterLake.com for a full view of what is available.

Warmly,

Discover Klamath VCB

8. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, March 19, 2014
9. Re: Is it worth camping in/near Crater Lake July 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:50 am, March 17, 2015