We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater lake A place not to be missed.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Crater lake A place not to be missed.

We are planning a trip this summer to Seattle/ Mount Rainer /Portland,Doing Seattle and Mount Rainer/ Portland in the first ten days and then heading over to the coast. I have been told not to miss Crater lake so trying to figure out how to squeeze that into our agenda, Coming From Portland we have from July 20th to July 28th to see Crater lake and make our way back to Seattle via Possibly Bandon, Yatchs and Cannon Beach before flying out of Seattle on July 28th. Any suggestions of distance to Crater lake, where to stay, does it need an overnight and should I drop Bandon to favour of it if it is too lond a distance from Portland. My top distance is 150/200 miles if there are interesting stops on route and the driving isnt too hard, after that we get a bit moody!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater lake A place not to be missed.

So you really have 7 days to visit if you leave on 8th day. You could get to Crater Lake. Just depends on how you want to do the coast. Astoria and Newport are easy places to spend two nights. Going to Crater Lake will exceed your 150 miles

I see on another post that you plan Astoria to Florence. You can go down 101 to Reedsport and head inland. to Roseburg and drive the N Umpqua a very nice drive to Crater Lake. from there you can go OR-58 to Eugene and I-5, and on to SeaTac, or better you could go to Bend and see some of C Oreg mountains. They are much better from east side.. I don't think you would be disappointed with what you see, but maybe with time it takes to do it.

For someone who can back easy I would say do that on another trip, but Cairo is a long ways and you might enjoy the mountains of C Oregon

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater lake A place not to be missed.

thanks for the guidance.I am thinking another trip, we love the USA and holiday there at some stage each year so I think another trip to see the rest of OR is on the cards!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,850 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater lake A place not to be missed.

If you've not seen the Bend area, Painted Hills, Crater Lake, Joseph & Wallowa Lake, eastern Columbia gorge, the wagon train ruts from the mid 1800's... (I could add more) . . . well, that's another whole trip in itself!

Just a note for future planning - Crater Lake often has snow on the ground sometimes as late as early July. The north entrance/exit usually opens in mid-June sometime, occasionally earlier than that. So a "summer time" trip would be in order for there. The Lodge books up many months in advance. If you are fairly fit you might like the boat ride on the lake.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater lake A place not to be missed.

Thanks for that Half Brit, I think we will need to plan to come jack I remember reading The Oregon Trail books when I was a child so will want to put that on the Bucket List for sure!!!

5. Re: Crater lake A place not to be missed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 19, 2014