We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a PDX to Crater Lake trip. What else should we do?

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Planning a PDX to Crater Lake trip. What else should we do?

I moved to OR (PDX) a year ago, so I'm not well-versed on everything there is to do here. I am planning a trip to Crater Lake, but have about 9 days to play with, so I am wondering what else there is to do along the way that would be fun.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,875 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a PDX to Crater Lake trip. What else should we do?

With virtually the entire huge state of Oregon between Crater Lake and Portland, you are basically asking, "What is there to see and do in Oregon?"

We welcome you to TripAdvisor,but you really need to do some online or travel guide research regarding the state (along with getting a good map) and, then, decide for yourself what attractions and natural wonders most strike your fancy.

If you're traveling during the summer you have a choice of coast, valley, mountain, gorge or high desert routes...or combinations thereof.

Add into your calculations: budget, how many hours a day you're comfortable driving and what sort actual activities (hiking, whale watching, fishing, dune buggy, etc.) you want to experience vs. just 50mph sightseeing through your windshield.

Then, get back to us and we can help you refine your itinerary.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,912 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a PDX to Crater Lake trip. What else should we do?

Hello, welcome to TA,

While in the Portland Area, I suggest you drive out to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. For most, at least seer Multnomah Falls.

East of Portland starting in Troutdale and going 77 miles on both sides of the river, (Oregon and Washington) Take I-84 and look for the beautiful snow capped Mountain, Mount Hood.

Have fun,

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a PDX to Crater Lake trip. What else should we do?

Rough itinerary -

Head to the coast, go south

Turn inland to Crater Lake

From CL go north through high desert

Reach Columbia River and turn west back to Portland

:-)

4. Re: Planning a PDX to Crater Lake trip. What else should we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 20, 2013