We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
655 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

Hi Everyone

Made a quick trip from Eureka, CA. to Prospect and Crater Lake Or. from July 12 to July 15 2012. We stayed at the Prospect Hotel in one of the motel units. We were there for my wife's Parents 60th anniversary. I was not expecting much from this place and received about what I expected. The grounds were very nice and the place was well run. You could use it as a base to explore the upper Rouge river and Crater Lake. The Crater Lake rim is about 45 miles away. We had basic motel room for $106 per night. We ate dinner one night at the hotel, received great service with so-so food. We split a dinner and had a bottle of wine and that was $58 dollars before tip. The waitress told us (and the menu also said) no spilt dinners but she pulled it off for us. If you stay in the motel part you do not get breakfast unless you tell them the night before and it is an additional $12. We did this one morning it is a fixed menu, I was not impressed. I did wander about 100 yard down the road the next morning to the Prospect Cafe and had bacon, eggs, hash browns and coffee for $10 which I enjoyed more.

If you go up to Crater Lake you will be better served to pack a picnic lunch (You can pickup supplies at the Prospect store) rather than eating at the cafe on the rim. A small sandwich, bag of chips, and ice tea was $15.00 not to mention the lines. We had a party of nine for dinner at the Crater Lake Lodge, I have no idea of what it cost but the least expensive dinner item (with no salad) was $25. Salads started at $7.50. The rib eye was $39. Cheapest bottle of wine was $30. Deserts started at $7.00 for Ice Cream. I was not shocked at these prices because that what you pay if you are eating in a National Park. It was amazing how crummy the food was. I have eaten in at least half a dozen National Park Lodges but this was hands down the worst. The noise level left a few of our party with headaches ( It also could have been the elevation). Oh well at least I had a view.

This was a trip for the wife to be with her family so we did not do much exploring, but this area is loaded with things to see. I think I have rambled on enough. If anyone has questions let me know.

Have Fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

Good trip report, gp1. Good honest description of everything and thanks for mentioning the prices :-)

Level Contributor
36,364 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

Very nice report with helpful info! Crater Lake is such a sight to behold! :).

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

I'm sad to hear the food at the lodge was poor -- it used to be quite good [many, many years ago].

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

Also sad to hear about the lodge food - I was thinking of treating us to dinner there, since we can't stay there. :-(

5. Re: Trip Report Prospect and Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 17, 2013