We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Beach to crater Lake

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Gold Beach to crater Lake

Hi we are travelling from Gold Beach to Crater Lake in early September 2011. We would also like to see some Redwoods. Could you suggest a good route. We were planning to stay near Crater Lake for two nights but we could break the journey on route if there was someone good to stay. We are a family of four.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

Continue south on coast hwy to Crescent City and the Redwoods. Take #199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass. You can do Crater Lake as a day trip out of Grants Pass, Ashland or Roseburg...depending on the rest of your proposed itinerary.

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

Thanks for that. Is there a good place to come off the #199 to see the Redwoods or is it obvious when you get there? We are going on to Bend after Crater Lake and then Portland,so any thoughts on good to place to stay around Crater Lake would be good. I have tried the Lodge but they don't seem to have any rooms available, or maybe I am too early!!

Thx

Edited: 2:57 pm, October 12, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
3. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

We will also be traveling Gold Beach to Crater Lake next Summer for the first time. With the research I've done, We will take 101 south to Crescent City and then over on Howland Hill Rd., which runs through the Redwoods and a must do drive in that area. We will also stop at Stout Redwood Grove (for a short hike around) and then on to Crater Lake via US-199 from there. If you do a mapquest search and move the route to Howland Hill, it will give you the details of the directions. It states 4 hrs. 50 mins for the direct drive, but with our stops we'll add another few hours. Of course if want to explore the Redwoods more, it will add extra distance and time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
1,110 reviews
4. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

Hi we4loveusa. I'm not sure if I've given you the following links for more information about Crescent City? If so, sorry if repeat! There is a lot to do and see around Crescent City. The second link is a list of the reviews and some pictures of Howland Hill Road.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60944-d1452…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
5. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

To sort of summarize, if you take hwy 101 south from Gold Beach to Crescent City, then 199 northeast towards Crater Lake, you will pass through Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413 . So, as that's really the most sensible route between Gold Beach and Crater Lake, you will see redwoods in any case. The more popular redwood groves are far enough south of Crescent City that you'd probably want to plan an overnight.

Yes, you may be too early for reservations at Crater Lake Lodge. So, continue to try. But, depending on what you plan to do at/near the lake, consider cutting the stay back to one night. And if the Lodge ends up not being available, have a look at the Prospect Hotel: http://www.prospecthotel.com/ . It's about 30 miles from the lake, but even so, I think you'd prefer it to Mazama Village Motor Inn, the only other lodging inside the park.

Edited: 6:20 pm, October 12, 2010
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

well, I was not that impressed with Howland Hill Road. good but we felt we had to get out and walk and signing was not good

we went throguh Jeb Smith SP on another trip, but missed any special interp things

Best we have found is 15 miles or so sout of Crescent City on old 101 route where they have some clear signing and decent parking. And best big trees. Halfbrit remembers name I do not

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

Fantastic, some really good advice here, thanks so much.

8. Re: Gold Beach to crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 12, 2011