We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

Hi -

My friends and I are checking out the Redwoods and then staying at the Treehouse in Cave Junction, OR. Since the lodge is booked at the lake, I made reservations in McCloud, CA. What can we see or do in a day or should we try to stay one night near the lake. Is it still worth going to if we can't take the boat tour?

Thanks for your help!

Tina

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

If you're not doing the boat tour, it'd be nice if you had time to take the Rim Road drive around the lake, stopping at the viewpoints along the way, and maybe taking the several short hikes/walks to others. That might be a squeeze if you're planning this soon (shortened daylight hours), given the 5 - 5.5 hours of drive time from Cave Junction up to Crater Lake, then south to McCloud. Even if you don't have time for the Rim Road drive, I'd still recommend driving up to the lake. Your first sight of it will likely take your breath away.

All bets are off though, if it's heavily overcast on the day you're hoping to visit, since you may not even see the surface of the lake. So one reason to spend a night near the lake would be to give yourselves a wider window of time to see it.

What are the dates of your trip?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

Isn't McCloud near Dunsmuir, CA? That has got to be 2 or more hours from Crater Lake. So once you drive up to CL from Cave Junction, you won't have much time to spend there at all.

:-(

Edited: 2:15 pm, October 04, 2010
San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

Ack! 5+ hrs to Crater Lake? That's not good. We'll be at Cave Junction on 10/16 and drive over to the lake on 10/17. I can probably still cancel my reservations at McCloud to stay overnight closer by.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

No, only 2.5 hours from Cave Junction to Crater Lake. Then another 2.5 if you continue on to McCloud that same day.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

Uhh, no, I was thinking of Crescent City, so the 5-5.5 above didn't really register.

No, it's about 2½ to 3 hours to Crater Lake from Cave Junction, assuming the Tree house is near to town, I'm not sure exactly where it is.

San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

Are the caves worth a visit in Cave Junction? We're staying overnight in Garberville on 10/13, Trinidad on 10/14, on Crescent City on 10/15. I didn't realize that Cave Junction was so close to Crescent City, so we might have time to see the caves or spend more time either in Jedediah or the Nat'l Park.

San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

Also - how long does it take to drive around the rim of the lake? Which hike would you recommend for scenery? Hopefully difficulty shouldn't be a constraint unless we've completely worn ourselves out.

Thanks for all of your help!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

If pushed for time I think you can get good view of lake along west side of rim. then out north side. However since you are heading south doing rim drive may work almost as well for time, not counting stops you will probably make

Curious why McCloud? If type of facility you might find something similar near Prospect OR.

San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

A friend was gushing over Mt Shasta and McCloud. It's on our way back to the Bay area.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crater Lake in 1 or 2 days?

I lived in area for 5 years. I can understand Mt Shasta but not McCloud which is 10 miles off I-5. Sort of extra miles to San Jose unless you want to add mt lassen to trip.