We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos at Crater Lake

jjjmac
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos at Crater Lake

So we were planning to go there next week and to stay at the campground for a few nights. I've been reading some of the recent reviews and they all mention the rampant mosquitos. Does anyone have a current report on just how bad they are? I always expect there to be some bugs when camping but a reviewer said that bug spray just keeps them 4-6 inches away from you at all times. Is that accurate or an exaggeration? Does anyone know if the mosquitos thin out, or are they always a large problem? I know the eggs hatch when the snow melts, so maybe it would be better to wait a couple of weeks? Also, any information about the campground in general is appeciated. thanks :)

Crater Lake Resort
Crater Lake Resort
#1 of 3 Specialty lodging in Fort Klamath
Mazama Village Campground
Mazama Village Campground
#1 of 2 Specialty lodging in Crater Lake National Park
Diamond Lake Campground
Diamond Lake Campground
#1 of 3 Specialty lodging in Diamond Lake
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos at Crater Lake

As a general rule, July is the big month for mosquitoes in the Cascades. In August they thin out and by late August and into September they're not much of a problem. The snow at Crater Lake melts pretty late, however, and remaining snowbanks and standing water are fertile territory for mosquitoes. I would expect them to be still frisky over the next few weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
433 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
jjjmac
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos at Crater Lake

okay, thanks. Maybe I'll look at going out to the Painted Hills next week and hit up Crater Lake a little later.

Edited: 3:34 pm, August 06, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
433 Reviews
gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
793 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos at Crater Lake

Hi jjjmac

I was in the Bend area and Wallowa Lake with a camping trip in between at the end of July. Summer is late. Mosquitoes are bad in high country. DEET works.

Have Fun

GP

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,351 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos at Crater Lake

Welcome to the forum, jjjmac. Have you ever been out to the Painted Hills? It's an interesting area, very different. The Sheep Rock unit has a good museum/interpretive center.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51924-d21…

Half Moon Bay...
Level Contributor
147 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos at Crater Lake

I was at Crater Lake 2 weeks ago. We did the all day lake/island tour and never had a problem with mosquitos until the hike back up the hill at 6 p.m. During that walk it was a constant barage - swarms almost. We were all coated in bug spray and it seemed to not matter. Noticed *some* at the campground, but nothing like that hike!

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
433 Reviews
6. Re: Mosquitos at Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 11, 2011