We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
106 posts
345 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

We are planning to spend 2 nights at the Crater Lake Lodge in September. We will take the boat tour. Is it worth it to do the drop off at Wizard Island and hike around there? Or is doing the boat and hike up and down the crater enough? Any other hike recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank u

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

I know Mtngrl has done the boat tour, and gotten off at Wizard Island. If she doesn't respond in this thread, I doubt she'd mind if you sent her a Message. She's listed as one of the Destination Experts on the Portland forum.

If the hike to and from the boat and Wizard Island aren't enough, it's hard to beat the view from Garfield Peak. Not easy to get there though; about 1,000 ft elevation gain in 1.5 miles (and starting at 7,000+ ft).

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

We did the hike to Wizard Island a number of years ago when our kids were about 7 and 11. We packed our lunch in our daypacks and ate at the top of the island. I can't recall that it was anything really outstanding, but it was fun. Wizard Island is a lava cone, so there is not much shade. Quite honestly, you really won't miss much if you skip the hike on the island.

The hike through The Pinnacles in the southeast corner of the park is interesting. Very different from the rest of the park area.

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
76 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

Check out www.ThingsToDoNearCraterLake.com for lots of hikes in the area.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

I would appreciate it if RockyPt would clarify his status. Every posting promotes the same website about things to do on the Klamath Falls side of Crater Lake...regardless of the interests of the OP. Just any mention of Crater Lake, and RockyPt does his advertising. No personal recommendations, experiences, suggested routes, budgetary/style information, whatever.

Please respond, RockyPt. Tell us what's going on with you. Do you represent anything other than a fellow traveller? Are you an expert in your area? Who are you?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

Rocky Pt., if you will check the profiles of the other regular posters on the Oregon forum, you will note that most of us tell something about ourselves. What sort of traveling we do, how long we've lived in the area, some of our interests, perhaps our age :-) so that others can see that we really do have a some amount of knowledge and expertise about the area..

The Things to do around Crater Lake website that you've been promoting is really very nice and if I were coming thru the Klamath Falls area I would spend some time looking it over more thoroughly. If you are a member of the 30 Mile Club and/or a business on the website, please note on your profile that you own a business in Klamath Falls or wherever and like to encourage folks to visit your hometown.

All I've been able to get from your profile is that you apparently made a trip to Florida in Dec 07, Texas in Feb 07, Las Vegas in May 07, and North Carolina in the fall of 06.

What else do you do?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

I have assumed that poster "RockyPt" is LInda or Larry who own Rocky Point Resort between Klamath Falls and Medford . . .

7. Re: Crater Lake Boat Tour and Wizard Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 26, 2010