We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near Crater Lake?

United States
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay near Crater Lake?

We are travelling to Crater Lake for one day as part of a trip north. We spend the night at Crescent City, then hope to spend one night near the lake and then go onto Bend the next day. We have a 2 year old, so we don't want to do huge amounts of driving in a day, if possible. Our trip is in August and I am having a lot of trouble finding a place to stay not too far away from Crater Lake. I'd rather keep going north than have to go down to Kalmath falls for the night and back up. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

You might look into Diamond Lake Resort. It's very close to Crater Lake. Old, in the woods right on Diamond lake. Not a bad place, but kinda worn.

www.diamondlake.net

You might also try Crater Lake Lodge. Same era as Timberline Lodge. Very nice. www.craterlakelodges.com/

Chuck...

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

http://www.prospecthotel.com/

http://www.diamondlake.net/

The Prospect Hotel and the Diamond Lake Resort are the two best (indeed, only) options available near Crater Lake, other than the Crater Lake Lodge itself. A lot of people like the Prospect, which offers community dinners and nice breakfasts. It's on the southwest side of Crater Lake. Diamond Lake is on the north side and would fit better into your plans of seeing Crater Lake and continuing on to Bend. Lots of summer activities at Diamond Lake (including safe swimming for kiddies).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

There is also the Mazama Motor Lodge. Old, very plain, IMO expensive. No TV. Located just 7 miles from the rim.

craterlakelodges.com/mazama-village-motor-in…

TA reviews on it... tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Diamond Lake Resort has a pretty setting but the cabins we saw (and looked inside) are very small and very old.

* Everything is *old* around here because it's government land and nothing new can be built on it.

About 20 miles north of the north entrance is Chemault on Hwy 97, which has this place. I've been by it and it looks fine from the outside, but that's all I know about it:

http://www.dawsonhouse.net/

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

For one night, I'd suggest one of the motel rooms at Diamond Lake instead of a cabin. Not sure how old the motel is; probably not as old as the cabins. The lodging gets a lot of usage throughout the year...and not by the dainty set. But it's a great mountain lake getaway.

Despite what the others have said, there's nothing that wrong about getting old and a bit worn. I keep telling myself that.

United States
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

Thanks everyone for your ideas -

I was originally hoping to stay at Crater Lake Lodge, but it's showing as booked solid for the whole of August. Ditto Mazama. I e-mailed Diamond Lake Resort but they never responded. Maybe I'll try Prospect Hotel next, although the lady I spoke to from Park Services said that there is a chance that there will be a cancellation at the Lodge...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

>> but it's showing as booked solid for the whole of August. Ditto Mazama. <<

Based upon what folks who frequent the Grand Canyon say about the lodging there -- also operated by Xanterra -- the websites are not always accurate, if that is what you're checking. They always suggest calling directly.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

"Despite what the others have said, there's nothing that wrong about getting old and a bit worn. I keep telling myself that."

Me to. LOL

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

I have stayed at Diamond Lake Resort a few times, both in cabins and motel room. That was during work years have yet to take my bride there, but think she would be fine. It is not fancy but it is close to CL.

Once we stayed at CL Lodge, pretty expensive. Lodge and setting are wonderful. room we got was not, just real bare

Once I spent a night in Chemult. Easy choice for me Diamond Lake is better. If I got that far outside of Park would go on to Lapine where they have some nice rooms

United States
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

Thanks again, all. I have heard back from Diamond Lake Resort, and they have a motel room, so we're going to book that and then keep checking for cancellations at Crater Lake Lodge.

I really appreciate all your help.

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
103 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay near Crater Lake?

Many nice choices much closer than Klamath Falls and closer than Diamond Lake. Check out the new volunteer-run website, www.ThingsToDoNearCraterLake.com for ideas.