We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

Hello,

I am flying into Medford in mid-May for 3 1/2 days. I am planning on spending at least the last 2 of them in Redwood National Park. I was thinking of either driving up to Crater Lake (and back to Medford) or driving down I-5 to Redding and heading to Eureka from there on the first day (picking up Mt. Shasta and Whiskeytown along the way). Any recommendations on which would be better interms of scenery and photo ops? From what I've read and heard the only part of the road around Crater Lake that will be open in May is to the Rim Village.

Thanks,

AZTraveller

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

My preference is for Crater Lake. I have been to Lake Shasta 4 times in early May. It is nice enough, but I just think the scenery at Crater Lake is more amazing than Mt. Shasta.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

I agree with Mtngrl; Crater Lake is better for photography, even if you're limited to the Rim Village area. But, check the weather report for the lake that day before you head out. I have a friend who, because of clouds/fog, couldn't even see Crater Lake his first two visits.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

Hmm We lived in Redding for 5 years. great area to live. Mt Shasta in my view is best mountain to look at in the 48. No other stand out so much in the surrounding terrain. Rainier is second.

But not sure I would take the long drive from Redding to Eureka which we did a few times, over rim of Crater Lake.

You can get great view of Shasta from near Siskiyou Summit. an hour south of Medford

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

I'd have to vote for Crater Lake even if you can only get to part of the park. There is really nothing else like that deep blue lake in the collapsed crater of Mt. Mazama.

I was never that impressed with Whiskeytown Lake, just another reservior IMO. And while Mt. Shasta is lovely, there are many mountain peaks in Oregon that are equally as nice.

In addition to Crater Lake, I would suggest at trip to Lake of the Woods on Hwy 140 between Medford and Klamath Falls. A beautiful mountain lake with a backdrop of Mt. McLoughlin

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

Thank you all for your advice. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed that it's not cloudy when I can make it up to Crater Lake.

Regards,

AZ Traveller

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

I worked on the Shata-Trinity National Forest. Mt Shasta is located on it. I could see it friom many of the places i worked in the field.

Mt Shasta has always impressed be because it is all by itself, raising close to 9000' above the surrounding terrain. We have some great mountains in the Northwest, but to me Mt Shasta seems the biggest one, because of how it sits. But it is a bit like Mt Rainier. You do not have to get close to enjoy it.

7. Re: Crater Lake or Mt. Shasta/Whiskeytown Rec Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 17, 2009