We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Crater Lake in early June

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
219 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Crater Lake in early June

We will be visiting Oregon the first week of June. We are planning on taking a day to drive from Roseburg to Crater Lake (along 138 - stopping to see the sites along the way) and staying at the Crater Lake Lodge.

But in looking at their website, it doesn't look like the Rim Drive will be open yet, the boat rides aren't running yet, and I'm not sure how cold it will be to do much outside. So, I'm wondering if there's really enough to do there to stay the night there - or if we should just plan to spend a couple hours seeing the lodge, the lake, etc. and then drive on. (I've also read that the North Entrance & Rim Drive have opened early, like mid-May - any chance that could happen this year? Or has their been too much snow?) The next day we are planning on driving from Crater Lake to The Dalles - and I'm concerned that will be too far to drive in a day & we may miss seeing stuff.

So is it worth staying at the lodge in early June? Or should we continue driving north from Crater Lake? And is Roseburg to Crater Lake to Bend too much to do in one day? (Although the drive from Bend to The Dalles will be easier!). Or is their some place between Crater Lake & Bend that we could stay?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
379 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
967 Reviews
Rim Drive
Rim Drive
458 Reviews
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Crater Lake National Park
Mazama Village Motor Inn
Mazama Village Motor Inn
#1 of 1 hotels in Crater Lake National Park
Whispering Pines Motel
Whispering Pines Motel
#1 of 2 hotels in Chemult
oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Crater Lake in early June

If I was a betting fish, Id bet 95% that North entrance will be closed begining of June. Unless you are interested in snowshoeing or XC skiing, I'd give Crater Lake a few hours. It will be cold at 7,000ft! :)

Yes you will be missing much stuff between CL and The Dalles, unfortuntely vacation times are always too short and you wont see everything you want.

Bend area deserves at least a day if you can spare it.

Crater Lake Lodge- I have never stayed there, but been inside. If you are looking for something relaxing and a night in a beautiful lodge, I'd say go for it. The location is amazing. Roseburg/CL/Bend is a long drive, especially if you are going to spend anytime looking at sites.

Not much between CL and Bend for lodging, you might want to try stay in LaPine-its only about 20mi S of Bend, but if its been along day-20miles less may be better.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
379 Reviews
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
967 Reviews
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Crater Lake in early June

I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that the north entrance will be closed until ... late June? Lots of snow this year, and it keeps snowing.

We drove along Hwy 97 a few months ago, and I do remember seeing several decent looking motels. Try Chemult or Crescent. Nothing fancy, but they looked clean and tidy from the outside. One of them might have been called the "Feather Bed".

Newberry Volcanic Monument near Bend is worth a look-see.

The CL Lodge is kind of interesting, but quite pricey. I do think there will be lots of snow in early June, so don't know how much you could see or do. I'd plan to take a look, then head on out. I think you've seen your share of snow in Illinois, lol :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
219 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Crater Lake in early June

Thanks so much for your quick responses!!

Based on your responses, now I'm considering staying at Steamboat Inn instead of in Roseburg (we're staying in Yachats the night before), and then staying in Crescent (and stopping at Crater Lake along the way). Then we'd only be driving from Crescent to The Dalles the next day.

Does that sound a little more feasible? And any thoughts on Steamboat Inn vs Crater Lake Lodge (both are about the same price - one is just on the North Umpqua River & one is on Crater Lake!) Based on the reviews on this site, Steamboat Inn kinda seems like a better bet!

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat Inn
Steamboat Inn
136 Reviews
Idleyld Park, OR
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
379 Reviews
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
967 Reviews
oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Crater Lake in early June

I've never stayed at the Steamboat Inn, but always wanted to-it really looks nice. It will be much better than staying in Roseburg(although if you like bagels, check out the Bagel Tree Cafe in Roseburg). I think your itenrary looks doable. You will enjoy the N. Umpqua highway 138 it is one of my favorite drives.

You won't have much time to stop and explore in Central oregon/Bend, but if you have time might want to stop at the 'Lava Lands' visitor center, just S of Bend. It will give you a good overview of the landscape and area. High Desert Museum is really nice as well, but that takes several hours to see.

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat Inn
Steamboat Inn
136 Reviews
Idleyld Park, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
High Desert Museum
High Desert Museum
1,603 Reviews
Bend, OR
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Crater Lake in early June

Steamboat Inn is much more intimate and cozy, nestled against the Umpqua, Dinners are special. If you do have to go into town for anything, Roseburg and its suburbs are readily available. If you stay at Crater Lake Lodge, nothing else is readily available.

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat Inn
Steamboat Inn
136 Reviews
Idleyld Park, OR
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
967 Reviews
6. Re: Going to Crater Lake in early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 18, 2009