We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crater lake visit

Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
crater lake visit

I am planning to visit on 26th from Bend. Do i need to be there at 8.30 am to get the tickets for the boat ride? Travelling with my wife and 4 yr old. I was planning to start late spend some time in Bend to see lava bed and then drive to Crater Lake. How long does it take for 1.1 mile hike? i guess depend on us but rough idea..

Any suggestion for drive from Bend to Crater ..

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crater lake visit

We did the drive between Sunriver and Crater Lake, and it took about 90 minutes. Sunriver is about 10 miles or so south of Bend, so the time depends on where you are staying.

I would not do the Lava Beds or anything in Bend first. Head straight down to Crater Lake, and yes, go early. The boat rides do sell out early. I would go early, go straight to the ticket office at Cleetwood Cove. If you do not get on a boat right away, you can go check out the lodge for a while and stop at the visitors center before your ride.

As far as the hike down to the boats, I can't remember exactly how long it took us to go down but we are hikers and based on other similar trails I would guess about 25 minutes. With your child being young, add a few minutes to that. It is a 700 ft elevation change, so many people take their time coming up.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: crater lake visit

Ok.. Will it be better to drive from Woodburn to Salem take route 22 to Sister/Bend or is it worth to drive to Eugene and then come back

Seem like i do not have enough time in Sisters and Bend. What are MUST SEE.

Thanks to all you for providing valuable feedback.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crater lake visit

I don't know your entire itinerary, so can't comment for sure. But from Woodburn, it is really easy to go to Salem and then cut over. That is the route we almost always do, and I just did it last weekend in fact.

If you can, definitely spend some time in the Bend/Sisters area. I am still trying to check everything out around there, lol!

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crater lake visit

If youre coming from North- Salem drive would be best bet- no use in going down to Eugene, unless you want to go the slow route over McKenzie pass Hwy 242-which is the old scenic windy road.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crater lake visit

Much to see in the greater Bend area. here is one site: http://www.el.com/to/bend/

Hi Mtngirl, I waved at you last week on the way to Crater Lake, on a trail there, and at the Benham Falls trail. Guess you didn't see us LOL So much to see in that area, agreed. BTW, we drove back roads along the Crooked River, to Prineville. Lovely.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: crater lake visit

i booked riverview room in Riverhouse for now

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crater lake visit

If you are that pushed for time I would not take boat ride on Crater lake. you wil be carrying the 4 yr old up the hill I would guess, at least in part. 1 plus miles down 3 miles back or so it seemed.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crater lake visit

voyaging--LOL!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crater lake visit

Do not try to take McKenzie Pass to get to Sisters - it is closed until just before Labor Day.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crater lake visit

Clarification. It is the Old McKenzie Hwy (#242) that is undergoing all the road work this summer. You can still get from Eugene to Sisters via the McKenzie Hwy (#126) and #20 over Santiam Pass.