We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging near Crater Lake

houston, tx
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
lodging near Crater Lake

As part of a loop through Oregon, we will be spending a day at Crater Lake at the end of June, and since we have planned this at the last minute, lodging in the park is not available. We will be going on to Bend from there. Starting the day in Medford, then touring the lake--is Bend too far a destination for the night? If it is, any suggestions for lodging on Hwy. 97 near Crater Lake?

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Crater Lake National Park
Mazama Village Motor Inn
Mazama Village Motor Inn
#1 of 1 hotels in Crater Lake National Park
Whispering Pines Motel
Whispering Pines Motel
#1 of 2 hotels in Chemult
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

I'm sure a local expert will answer shortly, but in the meantime...

I recently drove from Grants Pass to Bend with a visit to Crater Lake and other nearby parks. I could have easily spent four hours there had the North entrance and drive been open when I visited, and would have still arrived in Bend before nightfall.

In other words, you should be able drive from Medford to Crater Lake, spend some time, then drive on to Bend easily in a day.

Also, if you can enter via the West or South entrance and are permitted to leave via the North exit then you won't have to backtrack to Chiloquin to get onto US-97 to go to Bend (like I did).

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

Last summer we did a day trip to Crater Lake from Sunriver (a few miles south of Bend). From CL to Sunriver was only 90 minutes, so yes, it is very doable to drive up that direction and stay for the night.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Sunriver
Sunriver
Central Oregon, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

Last time we hit Crater Lake, we left from the Sunriver area, drove to Crater Lake, spent many hours there, then headed back towards Bend to LaPine where we spent the night. If you plan to hike down the culdera and take the boat ride, as well as driving all the way around the lake, you'll spend a lot more time there then 4 hours. But even so, Bend isn't too far from LaPine.

First time we went to Clear Lake, we spent the night on the north side of Crater lake at lodging at Diamond Lake (I think that's the name of the lake---just north of Mt. Thielson). That was nice, too.

I'd recommend taking the Cascade lakes scenic highway on your way back to Bend (another reason why we stopped in LaPine---so we could do the scenic highway by daylight). We also wanted to check out the obsidian flow by Paulina Lake.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Sunriver
Sunriver
Central Oregon, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake
95 Reviews
Medford, OR
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

Good point about the time and boat ride, etc. The boat ride really is good, so try to allow time for it. You need to be there early, as the rides sell out. So go early, go get tickets for the boat ride, then based on what time the ride is, plan the rest of your time at CL from that.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

If you're hoping to do the boat ride or the hike down or all of Rim Drive, make sure you check ahead of your trip to see if either are open by then. I know they are hoping to open Rim Drive early this year, but you'll still want to check about it. They only just opened the north entrance and west part of Rim Drive a few days ago, which was earlier than usual due to lack of snow.

Diamond Lake is nice-haven't staying in the lodging there, but have camped there. Pretty area. Bend would have quite a few lodging options, and Sunriver is nice.

There is also a motel at the junction of Hwy 138 (coming from north entrance to Crater Lake) and Hwy 97, but I don't know what the name is or anything about it-have just seen it as we've driven past many times.

Oh, I just checked this site:

www.craterlakelodges.com/Activities-1843.html

and this is what they say about boat tours (however, you never know-they might start them earlier, doesn't hurt to check):

Volcano Boat Cruises

The 2007 Volcano Boat Tours season is June 30th through September 16th (weather permitting).

This guided tour of Crater Lake begins from Cleetwood Cove and lasts for one hour and forty-five minutes. The trail to the Cove is a fairly steep, 1.1 mile hike. There are 7 tours daily, starting at 10:00 a.m. The tours at 10:00 a.m, 11:00 a.m, and 12:00 p.m. drop off guests at Wizard Island and return to pick them up at 4:00 p.m. after a day of fishing and hiking. Purchase tickets at Cleetwood Cove parking lot beginning at 8:30 a.m. the day of the tour.

Mentioned in this post
Rim Drive
Rim Drive
495 Reviews
Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake
95 Reviews
Medford, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Sunriver
Sunriver
Central Oregon, OR
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Wizard Island
Wizard Island
140 Reviews
houston, tx
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

Thanks very much for all the help. I booked an additional night in Bend since we were going there anyway. We will be hoping the boat tour opens a couple of days early, as we will be there June 28! Or I suppose we could skip Crater Lake on the way to Bend and drive back down on the 30th. Maybe we will wait and see what the weather is for those days...

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

If you can do the boat tour, I'd highly recommend it. The lake doesn't look nearly as big from the rim! The hike up and down the culdara to the boat ramp is quite a hike, though!

8. Re: lodging near Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, September 02, 2009