We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

Kearns, Utah
Level Contributor
10 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

We will be traveling to Crater Lake and up the Oregon Coast after Labor Day 2017. Staying in Klamath Falls and Idleyld Park then up to Seaside.

Since this is rather long road trip and limited to one night stays at each location; any advice on the MUST see list? Traveling by car, No kids in tow this year (first time in 25 yrs!). Just a trip for the hubby and I. Love the outdoors and I love to take pictures. (you know the old folks thing) Like the hiking trails but not more than 5 miles round trip and moderate level (time and all). Should we take the East Rim drive or the West Rim drive? Any stops we should make time for along the way? Any places we should put on the Eat/food stop? Already have reservations in the listed towns.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Rim Drive
Rim Drive
495 Reviews
9 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

Please clarify your route from Utah to Oregon. The two places you mentioned -- Klamath Falls and Idleyld -- are on opposite sides of Crater Lake, so you wouldn't hit both before going to CL. Instead of Idleyld I would look at the Steamboat Inn if you can get reservations...or Roseburg if you'll be heading toward the coast or up to Portland after CL. In August, even this year, you will be able to drive the entire rim, so no big decision required on that account.

I would think you would be better off coming in through Bend, then south to the north entrance of CL, circle the lake and leave the way you came in and take 138 along the North Umpqua River Scenic Hwy (stopping at Tokatee Falls). There's nothing special about Klamath Falls (no falls). You can also find lodging at Diamond Lake if you don't have reservations at CL Lodge.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Steamboat Inn
Steamboat Inn
142 Reviews
Idleyld Park, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake
96 Reviews
Medford, OR
Kearns, Utah
Level Contributor
10 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

we are coming on 140 from Utah. staying in Klamath. It is as far as we could go for a days travel. then we will head to Crater Lake for the day. Out the north entrance then head towards roseburg. decided to stay in Idleyld for cost and distance for that day. will only take one route of rim. Just need to know which route would be best, The east or West. i understand both sides would be great but we have to stick with our route already established and hope to catch the best of the best on the route. if there is 4 things vs 2 things not to miss vs which side, i will take which has most to see for the limits we have.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

From Klamath Falls, you'll take the 62 to the south entrance, turn left on the rim road (west side) to the north entrance and continue on to Idleyld. This is not a full day's travel unless you spend a lot of time at Crater Lake. If you get off to an early start you can do the entire rim and still get to Idleyld while the sun is shining.

But this will still give you a good look at the lake if the weather cooperates and we don't have big fires in the area again like we did last summer.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Kearns, Utah
Level Contributor
10 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

Thank you. Your the first person with some actual helpful advice. The rest were just rude.

Edited: 11:15 am, January 12, 2017
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

Glad to help.

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

Hi- We were planning to be in Crater Lake/ Shady Grove area Aug 15-16, but have been told we should reconsider due to heavy smoke. What is the advice given current conditions...

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

My husband and I have a trip planned to the Pacific NW and are scheduled to be at Crater Lake Aug 14 and 15. Should we reroute due to the fires and smoke ?

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Medford, OR
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

The situation regarding smoke varies day-to-day. Best way to know is check out Crater Lake's website https://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm

Especially the Alerts page and the webcams. I live in Medford and would gladly visit Crater Lake under its current conditions. Two insider tips: 1) Beckie's Cafe in Union Creek, just west of Crater Lake, has good food and some of the best pies (esp. Huckleberry) in Oregon. 2) On Hwy. 138, between Crater Lake and Roseburg, it's worth stopping in Glide to see Colliding Rivers,where 2 rivers run head on into each other.

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
434 Reviews
Beckie's Cafe
Beckie's Cafe
574 Reviews
Prospect, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice

Thank you so much. I will check the site and if yew go will certainly check out you tips. Mmmm-huckleberry pie!! Thank you again.

Reply to: Crater Lake & Oregon Coast Travel advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted