We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time of day to get the best light for photo ops

Monroe, Connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Time of day to get the best light for photo ops

Entering CL from the south (from Medford). Was planning on getting there early morning (9 ish) and driving the West Rim. (we will be leaving from the north to go to Bend). Rethinking that option as it was pointed out to me that to go clockwise around the lake (even thought the turnouts will be easier to maneuver) we will be looking directly into the sun the whole day. Here is the dilemma: If we drive the entire Rim beginning on the east side, if we want to see the best of the West Rim in the best light, we will have to circle the entire lake 1 1/2 times. Here's my thought. If we arrive a little later, say noon-ish and drive to the pinnacles, how long will it take to drive to that area, see it, and drive back to begin the west rim drive? I was told the best time, light-wise, to do the west side would be after 4. OR: drive the whole way around, then back track along the west rim to the north entrance. By looking at the map, the west seems to be a much shorter distance than the east. Can any of you tell me how long the drive along the west rim takes compared to the east?

1. Re: Time of day to get the best light for photo ops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 20, 2015