We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping weekend of June 20th

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Topic
Camping weekend of June 20th

We are thinking of camping the weekend of June 20th, we have a friend who will have a VW Westy, but my wife, myself and daughter will be in a tent. I took a look at the campground in the park, and while the text says it opens mid June, the reservation calendar does not show any openings till the 1st of July. I have tried calling Xanterra a couple times and get tired of sitting on hold for 15+min.

Are there any campgrounds you would suggest near the North Entrance, what about the South Entrance in case the North is not yet open? I have looked at Xanterras list, but looking more for personal reviews and recomendations. I am a photographer, so I like the Diamond Lake area as I can get morning and evening photos without making my entire party get up early to make it the CL.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

I shouldn't smile but I have thought that myself and I live here.

It makes sense that Crater Lake would be covered in snow and really cold. I wouldn't attempt to camp there then. You could camp nearby though and it wouldn't be as cold.

Best,

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

We have stayed at Diamond Lake RV Park in our RV, but I just checked their website and they do not allow tents. There is a Forest Service campground right on Diamond Lake. We drove through once and the mosquitos were fierce. Here it is:

www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/umpqua/null/recarea/…

The small town of Fort Klamath to the south has Crater Lake Resort that does allow tents but we haven't stayed there. Here are the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g51869-d663220-…

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,721 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

We have camped (tent) at Diamond Lake and no issues, other than it is a busy place. It should work well for what you want:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

I've tent-camped at Diamond Lake too, though it was later in the summer. I recall seeing mosquitoes buzzing above the lake in the evenings, but don't remember them otherwise as being much of a concern.

Edited: 4:16 pm, March 26, 2014
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

I somehow dropped a line, meant to say "..since it is our deepest lake....." would be cold.

M

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

After speaking with my wife and our travel friend, I think we will be playing this trip by ear and not planning anything till real close. We do not see the benifit of visiting if the entire rim drive is not open. We dont mind camping in the cold, we do it a lot anyways.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,721 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

Sounds like a good plan so that you can make the most of it. Cold doesn't bother us either. We snow camp...no wimps here, lol!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

Gotta be able to deal with cold to enjoy the great PNW :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

That's a great idea to "wait and see". They never know ahead of time when the winter plowing will be finished and the roads opened. A very useful website to see what the current conditions look like at Crater Lake is this one:

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/webcam/

Scroll down past the pretty pink picture for the real-time webcam, during daylight hours. Looks like it's cold and snowy there today - can't even see the lake!

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
70 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping weekend of June 20th

We're locals and live an hour south of the lake. Not much snow there this year. Maybe the north entrance will be open that early, but maybe not. Lots of camping choices a few miles south of the south entrance in and near Fort Klamath. Cool mornings and evenings at 4,100 ft elevation with lovely warm days. Visit the Lodging page on www.ThingsToDoNearCraterLake.com for a complete list of camping choices.