We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Hi Travelers,

I try to visit a NP each year. I'm starting my plans for a week long trip to Crater Lake NP in early/mid Sept 2014. I'm looking for advice for other areas to visit that are close. I usually fly in/out Sat/Sat and rent an SUV. I love the mountains, scenic byways, waterfalls, being outdoors and easy hikes. I'll probably travel alone. In my initial searching I found Umpqua National Forest. Any input on this location? Any suggestions for other close areas to visit?

Thanks!

Kim

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Oregon has only one NP, but that is no indication of how much natural beauty we have. We have the Oregon Coast the Columbia Riv Gorge, Mt Hood, Cent Oreg Cascades, Wallowa Mtns and Valley, Hells Canyon. and a dozen National Forests. I suggest you try to include Col Gorge and part of Oreg coast.

N Umpqua River is very nice drive from Diamond Lake to Roseburg, then on to Reedsport on Oreg Coast

Edited: 3:35 pm, December 29, 2013
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

I urge you to get a guidebook to Central Oregon. It lacks a national park, but it has some of the most beautiful, wild, and varied scenery in the world. In Central Oregon you can find volcanic lands with fields of lava, cinder cones, and lava caves; hot springs, cold springs that bubble out of the ground and turn into pristine rivers right before your eyes, mountains, forests, high deserts, and fossil beds. The scenic drives go on forever, and the hiking is incredible.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Have to agree with Kaleberg. Centr Oreg Cascades great place I think it deserves more time than Crater Lake, Our second crater lake is Newberry Crater where you can drive in to crater and see two nice lakes, McKenzie Pass is in middle of lava beds under the Three Sisters Mtns, Metolius river comes out of ground a full river at Camp Sherman.

Decent loop can be made Portland to Bend for a day or two,,drive by Crater Lake, then down N Umpua to Oreg coast and back to Portland at Lincoln Cty

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Oregon has several "National somethings" other than technical "parks", including Columbia River National Scenic Area, Newberry National Volcanic Monument, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. There are also dozens of beautiful State Parks. The hard part is deciding what you really want to see in only a week!

Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

And don't forget about our waterfalls.

We have waterfalls throughout the state.

Some right below Crater Lake.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Silver Falls State Park - 10 waterfalls in one place :-)

http://web.oregon.com/hiking/silver_falls.cfm

Oregon
Level Contributor
415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

What airport are you planning on flying into? That might help form some ideas.

I like the drive to the top of Paulina Peak to see the Newberry Crater area -- an amazing view. This isn't a travel site, but, this photographer has wonderful photos of central Oregon that might give you some ideas of things to see:

http://www.mikeputnamphoto.com/

Bend is a nice city to use as a base -- lots of restaurants, shops, brew pubs, etc.

Smith Rocks is beautiful and a nice place to hike. One of my favorite places is the Painted Hills but that's venturing out quite a bit from Crater Lake; ditto Fort Rock.

September at Crater Lake can have very chilly mornings/evenings so pack a fleece or jacket. There aren't many tourist facilities -- there's a lodge that fills up way in advance; one nice restaurant at the lodge [check on closing dates]; we ate at a cafeteria style place that served sandwiches, hot dogs, soda, potato chips. It was expensive and quite dismal -- my advice is to pack some snacks, beverages, etc. and be happy you aren't paying $7 for a sad sandwich. :-) I was last there in mid-September; there was some old snow on the ground but the road around the lake was open and clear. It was very cold in the morning; beautiful during the day.

I worked at Crater Lake *many* years ago and there are several hikes in the vicinity [some short, some long]. I was last there with an elderly relative so it was a car trip, we drove around the lake, pulling over often at viewpoints to ooh and aah, limited walking. A long day was plenty for that type of trip.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Thanks for the link!!! Looks like a great addition to my plans.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Thanks! Haven't decided which airport. Looking at Medford or Klamath Falls. Will be flying from BHM, AL

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crater Lake NP trip plans for Sept 2014...surrounding areas

Thanks also for the link. I'm a novice photographer so that is always a big part of my trips.