We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of a trip to CLNP

What are options for staying outside the park? We will have our dog with us so I haven't found any lodging inside that allows pups.

Never been to the area so I don't know the area at all.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Going this July for two weeks to Washington and Oregon- doing Crater Lake NP as part of our trip. We are staying in Grants Pass the night before we go to the park and then staying in Bend the next night. Hope you find suitable lodging.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Hey Peach! Imagine seeing you in this forum too. LOL We are hoping to find a place without fireworks. Our dog goes completely nuts. So, I'm not sure how much fireworks will be going on in and around CLNP. May need to go back to YNP.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Usually no fireworks around YNP because of fire danger. Got two big trips in the works- Washington and Oregon in July and Colorado Springs, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in September.

Good luck!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Where are you coming from? and going to? Crater Lake can be a drive through day from Bend/Lapine or Medford. Easy to find dog friendly in those areas. And Diamond Lake Lodge may take dogs.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

We will be traveling from Boise. So no real close gateway communities? I looked on a map but didn't really see too much.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Are you just looking for a place to sleep, or other activities in the area?

If just a bed, look into one of the hotels in Chemult on Hwy 97. Another option might be Diamond Lake Resort (but I'm not sure if the "resort" is pet friendly).

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Mostly just a place to sleep. I did check out Diamond Lake resort and some of their facilities are pet friendly. Thanks so much!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

VeeBee66 if you click on the blue link below, you'll find a list (with further links) of a number of lodging choices around Crater Lake:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23338-Crater_L…

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

Thank you all for your help! I'm checking out those links.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of a trip to CLNP

I have stayed at Diamond Lake a few times. Chemult once. I would not take my wife there and she is not real fussy. Diamond lake Resort much better choice. The rooms not wonderful but the setting is great. My wife has not been there, but I would take her but tell her not to expect the best.

Lapine has a nice motel forget the name. It is 70 miles or so from Crater Lake. Would take wife there. though really she would probably take great setting over nice room. One reason I have never taken her to Diamond Lake Resort is because we camp near there, and how we spend time in that area.