We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions!!

San Jose, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions!!

Hi,

I am planning for crater lake this long weekend with group of 12 (Most of them couples). I will coming from south (San Jose, CA). We are all in the age of 25-30.

Can anyone suggest good place to stay and activities to do at Crater lake.

I would really appreciate your help with this!

Thanks,

Sreeni

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions!!

At this late date you won't find available lodging AT Crater Lake. You should probably plan to stay in the Medford/Ashland area and make Crater Lake a day trip. Work in a nice restaurant and a play in Ashland. You can bring or rent snowshoes, since the hiking trails will still be covered with snow. You might also check with the park rangers to see what special nature activities are planned during your visit.

http://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,221 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions!!

Sreeni, is your group a hiking club? I ask because the idea of taking 12 people on short notice to Crater Lake when it is under heavy snow is not a good one. If your group hopes to hike, they will be disappointed. It's a long way to travel, too, and as Oregonpoppa has said, you wont be able to find local lodging for such a large group. Would your group be open to another destination?

San Jose, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions!!

Hello Kaleberg,

yes, we are planning to hike over there. If hiking is not an option, what else can be done over there, if I plan for a day trip.

I am planning to stay at Klamath lake overnight and drive to Crater lake for a day. Won't we get accommodation at Klamath for the long weekend?

Please suggest.

Oregonpoppa, Is it a good idea to stay at Ashland/Medford rather than at Klamath? I will be driving from south, hence please suggest accordingly.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions!!

Not sure what you mean by staying at Klamath Lake...Fort Klamath? Klamath Falls? Do you have reservations somewhere?

It will be easier to get reservations on the Klamath side of the lake than in Ashland...but, then, that's because Ashland is a major tourist destination and is home to the Oregon Shakespear Festival and has more top restaurants in a two-block stretch than all the towns on the southeast side of Crater Lake put together. But a holiday weekend in Ashland means the town is probably already booked up. Medford is just a few miles away and would be an easier target.

You've already been answered regarding the possibility of any hiking at Crater Lake (and I've given you a website that gives you info on what is open and what isn't in the national park). It's a little early for an accurate forecast, but a weather front is expected to come through late next week. Don't know what that will mean at Crater Lake, but bad weather could seriously mess you up. It's a long way to go to not be able to see the lake through the rain, mist or even snow. And I can think of a lot of places I'd rather spend a rainy weekend that at Klamath Lake.

You might be able to pull this off, but I think you ought to develop a Plan B...an alternate destination that offers something to do for your group. The Mt. Shasta and/or Shasta Lakes area might be both warmer and certainly closer.

5. Re: Itinerary suggestions!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, June 21, 2013