We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride question

New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boat ride question

How much of a different perspective and experience of the lake do you get from the boat than you get from the loop road and viewpoints above? Also, I see that a couple of the boats stop on Wizard Island to let you explore for 3 (or even 6) hours. Is this a worthwhile use of our time at Crater Lake, or should we just take the regular boat ride? I am aware that the hike down to and up from the boat ride is quite steep.

Also, what is a realistic estimate for how long it will take us to drive the loop road and stop at the various pullouts and overlooks for pictures? We'll be there the 3rd week in August. Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat ride question

http://www.craterlaketrolley.com/

Here's the info on the Crater Lake Trolley...which should give you some idea of the time involved in driving around the rim. At present, the rim is still closed by snow...but, hopefully, it'll be open by the 3rd week of August...even this year!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat ride question

We just got back a week ago from camping at Crater Lake. There is sitll alot of snow on the ground right now. And the trail to the bottom is closed due to construction.

Also if you are going soon there are quite a few mosquitos so come prepared. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat ride question

Just checked the CLNP website and they say the east rim road is now open :-)

Here is the information about the trail down to the boat rides:

nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

And here are some photos (not mine) taken from the boat... klamath-vacations.com/boat-tour-photos.html You can compare them to the classic ones taken from the rim and it may give you an idea.

It took us about 3+ hours including photo stops to go around the entire lake, plus time for lunch at the lodge.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat ride question

Thanks for the update half-Brit. Shows you have to keep checking. Last time I looked, the rim road was still closed and we've had posters still reporting the closure over the weekend.

New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat ride question

And I just called Xanterra and confirmed that the boats began running today, and the trail down was closed not for construction but due to snow, so hopefully I'm good to go for the 3rd week in August. Any comments about whether it's worth the extra time (3 hours) and money to stop at Wizard Island? I'm inclined not to, though my kids think the idea of hiking to the top of it sounds fun.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat ride question

We have been to Crater lake several times. My wife took boat ride once with three friends. I was going to go but forgot to take hat. You need a hat if sun bothers you.

My wife never plans to take boat ride again, but we will continue to go there and drive along west rim.

We also stayed at Lodge once. Sunrise and sunset worth the price of the room. I might do that again.

If you have time take lake ride, but if pressed for time i would not. views from road are very good

We will be there next week again

Edited: 7:50 pm, July 25, 2011
7. Re: Boat ride question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 09, 2012