We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East or West Rim Drive?

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
East or West Rim Drive?

We are driving throughout NoCal & SoOregon by RV in August. The night before, we'll be heading from Diamond Lake to arrive the following night at Lava Beds. As we will be making the drive through Crater Lake, I am wondering, all things considered, which is the best route through Crater Lake to take--east or west?

Also, while I'm at it, any other stops worth making along the way??? Klamath Lake/Falls?

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake
92 Reviews
Medford, OR
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
372 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Crater Lake
National Parks, Hiking Trails, Volcanos, Waterfalls, Bodies of Water
Rim Drive
Scenic Drives
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East or West Rim Drive?

Well west side follows close to rim most of way. which I would suggest in car, but in RV less sure

East side gets away from rim for much of trip, but does keep coming back.

I am not sure how good RV parking is on west side in Aug may not be real good since Park likely to be busy,

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: East or West Rim Drive?

If I'm understanding your route, I'm betting you'll be most comfortable driving the East Rim Drive. If I'm not understanding correctly, take whichever is in the clock-wise direction around the lake. Either way, be sure to visit Rim Village, where most of the tourism facilities are located, even though it may involve some back-tracking.

Mentioned in this post
Rim Village
Rim Village
111 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East or West Rim Drive?

I'm an RVer, and have driven completely around in our crew cab dually. It's the same width (8'6") as a motorhome but only about 21 feet long, so shorter.

Our impressions of the west rim were that unless the government dumps a *lot* of money into repairing the road, that it would have to become a one-way road before too many more years go by. It is narrowish to start, and the pavement is crumbling along the edges. We met a couple of motorhomes and it was tight. (This was off season at the end of Sept with light traffic).

The east rim is decidedly more comfortable to drive in a larger rig. However, other than a few spots, it was not as scenic to us. A tough decision, and it may depend on how long your motorhome is . . . and how confident a driver you are?

There are no falls in Klamath Falls ;-)

There is a logging museum in Chiloquin, on Hwy 97, at the Collier Memorial State Park.

Mentioned in this post
Collier Memorial State Park
Collier Memorial State...
72 Reviews
Chiloquin, OR
California
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East or West Rim Drive?

Hmm, ok thanks. Taking everyone's advice into consideration, perhaps we will see how we feel the day of (in terms of how easy of a drive we are looking to have and how in love we are with the area) and go from there. Thank you, as always, for the advice.

5. Re: East or West Rim Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, October 21, 2010