We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some expert opinions!

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some expert opinions!

Hello! We are a family of four, with kids ages 11 & 13. This is our plan for our one day at Capitol Reef NP and Goblin Valley SP:

We are staying in Torrey. Head out early and see some overlooks on our way to Visitor Center. Visitor Center opens at 8:00. Stay there about an hour. Continue onto Scenic Drive. On the way out of Scenic Drive, have picnic lunch and pies at Gifford's. Continue heading west on 24, see other sites and hike Hickman Bridge. Head out of the park and head to Goblin Valley SP -- be there for sunset. After sunset, head to Moab.

Is this too aggressive of a day and do you think we can fit it all in? We pretty much will stop at most sites on 24 and Scenic Drive. Some posts say Goblin Valley is a half hour visit. Others say it's a full day. Any input or helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some expert opinions!

It's a pretty full day for sure. While I don't know how you would fit it in if you want to hit your full agenda in Capitol Reef, Little Wild Horse Canyon near Goblin Valley would be a super fun hike for the kids - probably more interesting to them than anything in CR. It's a very user friendly slot canyon with several slots where the kids can skinny up the walls, etc. But you would need 2-3 hours.

Goblin Valley to Moab after sunset would be fine. Stop for a burger at Ray's Tavern in Green River. You may be pushing grill closing time but just call your order in to them in advance. It will be about hour and half plus a bit from GV to Moab.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some expert opinions!

If your only hike is Hickman Bridge you'll be out of Capitol Reef by noon, with plenty of time for Little Wild Horse and Goblin Valley for sunset.

I would recommend adding at least the Capitol Gorge hike at the end of the scenic drive. It is an easy walk and one of my favorite in the park.

And I am one of the 1/2 hr for Goblin Valley people. Take a look, take a picture, move on. Some people love to play among the goblins and that would take longer.

Edited: 10:42 am, May 17, 2012
New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some expert opinions!

I would also add that you probably won't need an hour at the visitor center since it is not very big.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some expert opinions!

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! I appreciate it and will look more into what you suggested. :)

5. Re: Looking for some expert opinions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 pm, June 21, 2013